I don’t post many salad recipes, mainly because my salads are very boring.
I generally just toss in some spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, feta, and top it with oil and vinegar. So, to prevent from boring you to death, I just don’t share them.
However, this salad is a game changer. My Mom came across this recipe back in the summer and we fell in love. Steamed asparagus is combined with avocado and tomatoes, and then tossed in a lemon vinaigrette. It is the weirdest, most fantastic combination of ingredients!
Since trying this a couple months ago I just can’t seem to get enough. This salad is, of course, best when it is fresh, but it does store fairly well. I like to make a batch on Sunday nights and take it to work for the first part of the week. It is healthy and filling and I love the mix of flavors and textures.
The salad is a cinch to prepare. It all starts with simply steaming freshly trimmed asparagus until tender. Just be careful not to overcook it, otherwise it will be mushy and you really want it to have a nice little crunch to it. Then add in some chopped tomatoes and avocados, along with a load of fresh basil, the lemon vinaigrette and a good dose of mozzarella for good measure. And there you have it! The strangest yet most fantastic salad you will ever eat!
Happy Saturday Friends!
10 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
12 minTotal Time
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Bocconcini Mozzarella, drained
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil asparagus in a large pot of salted water for 1 1/2 minutes, or until fork tender. Be careful not to overcook!
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes, avocados and mozzarella into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or mixing cup combine the basil, oil, lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper. Mix well until everything is combined and pour over salad ingredients.
- Toss to coat.
Recipe was inspired and adapted from Sunset magazine.