This is what a happy morning looks like in my house.
Last weekend I woke up to a quiet house and a clear schedule. I poured myself a cup of coffee and got to work.
I love baking. I know some people don’t enjoy the measuring or the mess that comes with proper baking, especially proper gluten free baking. But I adore it, something about the pouring, measuring, and mixing is totally therapeutic to me.
This particular morning I was ready to try my hand at donuts. I had written out a couple different flavor combinations and had finally decided on “Cherry Cheesecake.” My thought was to bake fresh cherries into the donuts, do a cream cheese glaze and drizzle crushed (gluten free) graham crackers over the top. Sounds fantastic right? Well I opened up the fridge to start getting out ingredients and a bag of unopened coconut fell out of the fridge. That was all it took. A quick glance of coconut and the smell of coffee already lingering around my kitchen and just like that “poof!” I didn’t want cherry donuts. I wanted Coconut Mocha Donuts. I didn’t just want them. I HAD to have them.
I scrapped my plans, turned to a different page in my notebook and started scribbling. Pretty soon cocoa powder was flying around the kitchen and through the cloud of flour and sugar in the kitchen these little beauties started to form. The donuts are filled with rich dark chocolate cocoa powder and espresso powder to make perfect, soft donuts. They are then dunked in a dark chocolate glaze laced with coconut extract and then dunked in toasted coconut.
Heaven folks. This is heaven.
To be totally honest with you, I do not have a big sweet tooth in the mornings. I will almost always pick savory over sweet when it comes to breakfast, however these little beauties have totally changed me.
Bring on the chocolate!
- Donut Ingredients
- 1 cup AP Flour or Bisquick (I used GF Bisquick)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder (I used one to go packet)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Glaze Ingredients
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- ½ cup coconut for toasting
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add milk, sour cream, and beaten egg.
- In a small bowl or cup combine the hot water with the instant coffee powder until dissolved. Pour coffee into donut batter and mix well.
- Spray donut pan with cooking oil and spoon batter into donut molds.
- Bake donuts 12 minutes, carefully remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- While donuts are cooling combine the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and coconut extract until a thick glaze forms.
- Turn the broiler on your oven to low. Pour shredded coconut into a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast coconut until lightly brown, this will take about one minute. Watch closely so it does not burn.
- Dunk cooled donuts in chocolate glaze and then dip in toasted coconut.
- *Note: There is enough glaze to double dunk your donuts or to completely coat with glaze. Donuts will need to be stored in the fridge.
For more Coconut Mocha creations try my Blended Coconut Mocha and my Coconut Mocha Snack Mix!
Adapted from Joy the Baker