Last week my youngest sister came to visit. She asked me what I was making for dinner one night and I said with total excitement “I am trying something new! I’m going to make some shredded beef for tostadas with mango salsa!” She looked at me and nodded her head…”oh, okay….yum” Bless her. She had no faith.
Later, Mr. Maebell asked me the same question and I gave him the same response. He stared for a moment considering how to answer and finally said “thats…great” Bless him. He had no faith either.
Whatever. I had faith.
It all started with a little habanero mango sauce. I added lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, cilantro, habanero peppers and mango in a little sauce pan and brought it to a nice simmer. (If you have never cooked with habanero peppers before watch this video you never even have to touch them! No habanero hands!) I basically just picked a bunch of random ingredients that I thought might go well together, let it simmer and then threw it in the blender.
I poured the habanero mango sauce in the crock pot with the roast and a bottle of beer and let it cook on low all day long. I came home, fried up some tortillas and made a quick mango salsa for a really delicious dinner.
My sister and Mr. Maebell went back for seconds. They were both plesently surprised. The roast isn’t spicy at all, it just has this great smokey sweet flavor from the habanero mango sauce and the mango salsa has a nice zip from the cilantro and lime. They complimented the crunchy, salty tortillas perfectly!
- For the Habanero Beef
- 1 roast (mine was 2.5 pounds)
- 2 habanero peppers, sliced and seeds removed**
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped mango (I used frozen mango)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle beer (Red bridge is gluten free)
- For the Mango Salsa
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- For the Tostadas
- Corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- To make the meat:
- In a small sauce pan bring the chopped habanero peppers, lime juice, brown sugar, mango, garlic cilantro, and Worcestershire sauce to a slight simmer.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Carefully pour into a blender and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Spray the inside of a large crock pot with cooking spray. Place the roast fat side down, pour habanero mango sauce over the roast. Pour in the bottle of beer.
- Cover and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the roast, and discard any fat and the liquid.
- To make the salsa:
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients with the lime juice and toss gently.
- To make the tostadas
- Pour just enough canola oil into a small skillet to cover the bottom. Heat the skillet to medium heat. Carefully place a corn tortilla in the oil and let cook 1-2 minutes until crisp and golden. Turn tostada and let it cook on the other side another 1-2 minutes. Remove from oil and pay on wire rack or paper towel. Sprinkle with salt if you wish.
- To assemble.
- Place shredded beef onto of tostada top with mango salsa!
- **BE CAREFUL! Do not touch your face or eyes. If you are not sure how to cut habanero peppers without touching them watch the video in the link above.