I have started to enjoy the photography part of the blog more than I ever expected. I like playing around with backgrounds, props, and dishes. I move my little set up from room to room testing the light while actively fending off two hungry dogs or a hungry husband. Sometimes taking pictures for the blog takes longer than actually preparing the food. I like it though, I think it is time well spent. However, this Dark Chocolate Cocoa was the exception. Instead of working on staging this mega tempting cup of hot cocoa I made it, snapped a few pictures then drank up. I couldn’t resist!
This cocoa is not as sweet as some recipes. I like the bold chocolate flavor but I don’t like feeling like I am drinking a candy bar. This cocoa is rich and satisfying without being overly sweet. Then it is topped with espresso spiked whipped cream. The combination of the two flavors is amazing. It is similar to the flavor of a mocha latte when the espresso whipped cream melts into the cocoa.
This is the perfect drink to end a cozy autumn day! Or a great one to help you get through a Monday!
- For the Dark Chocolate Cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (I used one tablespoon cocoa and one tablespoon dark chocolate cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 square semi sweet bakers chocolate (or 1 tablespoon chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Espresso Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso or strong coffee*
- For the Cocoa: Heat all ingredients over medium heat in a small saucepan stirring occasionally until warm. Adjust heat if necessary.
- For the Espresso Whipped cream: Using a mixer beat the cream, sugar, and espresso until stiff peaks form.
- Pour cocoa into mugs and top with whipped cream
*I used one to go packet of instant espresso and dissolved it into one tablespoon warm water
You can adjust the amount of honey to make this a sweeter drink if you prefer.