Sometimes I am a little unsure of myself.
I work a normal office job. So I leave in the morning, I come home at dinnertime, like pretty much the rest of the world. I don’t work overtime. I don’t work weekends. I don’t have a super demanding job, yet when 5:00 rolls around some days I just don’t have anything left to give.
Is that normal?
I see other people, others that have a full time job, 6 kids, PTA, shuffling kids from soccer practice, and piano lessons. Then they go workout and take the dog for a walk, cook a five course dinner, do 12 loads of laundry, do the dishes, mow the yard AND have time to watch Grey’s Anatomy.
But here I am, a twenty something that only has to feed two and put dog food in the pups’ bowls and sometimes….well sometimes, even that is asking a lot.
I don’t even feel like it is a matter of being lazy. I really am not a lazy person. (I promise!) But sometimes I just feel kind of defeated. So, I am working on it. One of the ways I am working on it is coming up with 30 minute, one dish meals. Something that is easy, at least semi healthy, with normal ingredients that requires little clean up and prep.
This Super Easy Cheesy Chili Mac fits the bill perfectly.
It uses pantry staples you probably already have, packs a ton of flavor, and is ready in 30 minutes flat.
Hallelujah! Weeknight meals are getting easier already!
So here is how I did it!
Brown some ground beef. I used the super duper lean ground beef, but you can use whatever you prefer. Ground chicken or turkey would also work great here if you really wanted to lighten it up.
So the next time you need dinner in a pinch keep this Super Easy Cheesy Chili Mac in mind!
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can of stewed or crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a dutch oven or large 12 inch pot over medium heat. Brown ground beef, crumble as you go, and drain off as much grease as you can. Add in spices, bell pepper, and the can of drained and rinsed red beans.
- Add in the tomatoes with green chilies, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and water and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Pour in the two cups of uncooked pasta.
- Cover and let mixture simmer for 12 minutes*, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese, sprinkle the last 1/4 cup over the top, replace the lid for another moment until cheese melts.
- Garnish with your favorite chili fixins!
*I used Barilla Gluten Free Penne Pasta, the cook time on the box says 10 minutes, this was perfect for me at 12 minutes. I have not made this with any other type of pasta. So, I recommend checking the cook time on the box and checking your pasta for tenderness, as all cook times may vary.