Sometimes my inner vegetarian just cannot be contained. Lately, I have been all about fabulous meatless meals, this is probably no coincidence that Mr. Maebell has been working long hours so it has just been me, myself, and I around this little house. Last weekend I made lunch for myself and I decided to experiment a little bit. I had already made this fabulous marinara, so my first thought was of course, pasta. Instead I opted for eggplant.
I haven’t bought an eggplant since, oh I don’t know, like 2008, but while I was at the market they were right in front of me with a big yellow .99 sticker on them. Okay sure, why not. Turns out, it was a great impulse buy. This lunch was a show stopper and done in about 15 minutes!
I had a big ball of fresh mozzarella and i could envision these cute little petite stacks with alternating lightly fried eggplant and sliced cheese drizzled with marinara. So, I sliced the eggplant then used a biscuit cutter to cut out circles. I got 8 circles out of my eggplant. This method does mean you waste more of your eggplant than if you just sliced it, but I was just cooking for me so I didn’t worry about it.
I just threw some flour and spices together in a shallow bowl, beat and egg with a little milk in another and double dipped them. Then fried them up in a little oil. I just stacked everything right on top of each other and voila! I actually dipped mine in warm marinara too because while the little drizzle of marinara looks pretty for the photo I pretty much wanted the whole thing dunked in it.
The only thing to consider is that if you are making several servings of this you may want to turn your oven on low and keep the cooked eggplant in the oven as you go, and then assemble while the eggplant is warm. Alternatively, if you want your cheesy gooey and melted assemble and let them sit in a warm oven for a couple minutes. This is super easy to adjust based on your preferences! The next time you hear your inner vegetarian calling remember these Eggplant Mozzarella Stacks
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 egg plant, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour (I used gluten free AP flour)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 ball of mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2-1 cup marinara
- Slice eggplant and use a biscuit cutter to remove circles from eggplant.
- In a shallow bowl combine flour and all seasonings, in a second bowl combine the milk and beaten egg.
- Dip eggplant into flour, then egg, then repeat so the eggplant is double breaded.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place cook eggplant 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove eggplant from skillet.
- Assemble stacks alternating eggplant, cheese and drizzle with marinara sauce and basil. Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping.
I used the Balsamic Vinegar and Roasted Tomato Marinara for this, but you can use whatever you prefer!
As always, I made this dish using gluten free ingredients. I use Glutino Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose flour or Gluten Free Bisquick in place of flour.