This super simple Funfetti Strawberry Poke Cake is totally gluten free and perfect for Spring!
My first year of college I lived with three other girls. You couldn’t have paired a group of girls that was any differently than the four of us. We were a perfect blend of organized, messy, sensible and wild and looking back I am so thankful for that experience, it taught me a lot about real friendships. Out of the four of us two of us cooked, two absolutely did not. Actually, one of them tried to cook Ramon noodles in the microwave and started a fire because she forgot to put water in the bowl. So to say they didn’t cook would be an understatement.
One weekend we came back from visiting our families and one of the girls had baked a cake. A Funfetti cake with Funfetti icing. She was elated, just completely over the moon excited because she had actually baked something. I can’t walk past the baking aisle or boxed cake mix without thinking of her triumphant smile. How turning an oven on, mixing flour and sugar from a box with eggs and water and canned frosting made her feel like she had done the impossible!
I think that is the beautiful thing about baking, the wonderful memories it involves! When you think about it, so many big wonderful memories center around a table with a cake! There are Birthdays, weddings, showers, graduation parties, practically every big life event involves a delicious cake!
This Funfetti Strawberry Poke Cake is super moist and delicious and it is so perfect for Spring and Summer because it is packed with strawberry flavor! This cake is also really simple to make! We start by simmering a bit of water, sugar and fresh strawberries in a sauce pan until a nice sauce forms. This takes a couple minutes but this fresh strawberry sauce is worth the time! Once the strawberries are cooked down remove it from heat and add a few more cups of fresh strawberries to give you that great mix of fresh strawberries along with the sauce, it provides great texture! I use Pillsbury Gluten Free Funfetti cake mix in a 9×13 pan. When the cake comes out of the oven I just poke some holes into the cake. I make the holes about 3/4 deep into the cake so it doesn’t create a hole all the way through, just a bit of a “well” for the fresh strawberry sauce to sink into. Then we just spoon our strawberry mixture right over the top and spread it nice and evenly across the top. Instead of frosting I used whipped cream to create a nice strawberry shortcake flavor but this is also irritable with Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting if you prefer!
We love this cake because it is delicious and it makes preparing gluten free desserts so much easier! The entire line of Pillsbury Gluten Free Baking products are perfect to keep on hand for anytime your sweet tooth calls! This cake is perfect for a sweet Spring treat or for a special occasion! It is a great way to “mix up a moment” with your family! Be sure to check back in a few weeks when I share a super fun and easy sweet treat using Pillsbury Gluten Free Brownie mix!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 (17 ounce) Pillsbury Funfetti Gluten Free Cake Mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups of chopped strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) container of whipped cream
- In a small sauce pan bring the water and sugar to a light simmer over medium high heat.
- Add 3 cups of the chopped strawberries and let the mixture simmer for 7-10 minutes until the strawberries have become very soft. The mixture will resemble strawberry jam.
- Remove from heat and add the last cup of strawberries, stir well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare the Pillsbury Funfetti Gluten Free Cake Mix according to the package directions in a 9x13 baking pan.
- When cake is done remove from oven and poke several holes in the cake (I poked 4 rows of 3) and pour the strawberry sauce over the cake and spread evenly.
- Allow the strawberry sauce to sink into the cake and cool completely before frosting with the whipped cream.
To stock up on the entire line of Pillsbury Gluten Free Products visit your local Wal-Mart and visit the baking aisle! You can SAVE on Pillsbury™ now by downloading this money saving coupon! Visit Pillsbury to discover new ways to “Mix Up a Moment” with Pillsbury!
More Delicious Desserts
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.