These Jalapeño Lime Chicken Fajitas are packed with flavor for a great healthy meal!
I am, and always have been, really big on seasonal foods. I try to always enjoy the best of what each season has to offer. Summer, fortunately, doesn’t just have great food it provides us with -what I affectionately call- grilling season.
You know what I mean. There is just something special about being outside, sun on your face, and the smell of burgers on the grill! It is special enough that it must have it’s own season. So, I am officially declaring grilling season open! It’s here!
In honor of warmer weather and sunny skies I decided to make a big pile of piping hot Jalapeño Lime Chicken Fajitas! These fajitas are a game changer. They take basic ingredients like chicken, peppers, onion, lime, cilantro, and garlic and turn them into something really special. The key is the marinade! Instead of reaching for a packet of seasoning or the bottled stuff, we make our own.
Here is how we do it!
Grab some limes, garlic, jalapeños, red onion, fresh cilantro and a couple other pantry staples and get to work! Combine your ingredients in a large plastic bag, and add some sliced chicken breast. Toss the mixture around a bit to make sure everything is nice and covered. And if you feel like living on the wild side you can throw the juiced lime peels in with the marinade to give it a little extra zing.
Now comes the hard part. The waiting.
Let the chicken marinade at least 8 hours. So you can do this in the morning before work, or if you want to give it lots of extra time to soak up that jalapeño lime goodness you can do it the night before. Either works fine.
After your chicken has marinated it’s time to prep your veggies. I sliced an onion, bell pepper and threw in some cherry tomatoes, for good measure. Drizzle or spray a little olive oil and salt and pepper over the veggies to give them a little extra flavor.
Heat your grill to medium heat and add your chicken breast, cook on each side 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and juicy. Remove chicken from heat and add the vegetables, grill until lightly charred.
Grab some warm corn tortillas and pile the grilled chicken and veggies as high as you’d like! Garnish with a lime wedge and some cilantro for the perfect healthy dinner! These fajitas are pretty impressive on their own, but paired with some Avocado Bacon Dip or some Jalapeño Ranch Dip and you have a real fiesta on your hands!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) seeded and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 6-10 corn tortillas
- Combine the olive oil, red onion, cilantro,jalapeño, juice from three limes, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside for later, pour the rest of the marinade into a large plastic bag, add the chicken and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Heat your grill to medium heat, approximately 350 degrees.
- Prep the vegetables by combining the sliced peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes, toss or spray with a small about of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juicy.
- Set chicken aside on a serving tray.
- Use a grill pan or make a small tray using aluminum foil and place on the grill, add your veggies. Grill 4-6 minutes until lightly charred.
- Remove vegetables from grill and add to serving tray. Drizzle the chicken and veggies with the remaining three tablespoons of marinade.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas with your favorite Mexican garnishes
- **I always recommend using meat thermometer to ensure it is completely cooked through. Cooking times listed may vary depending on the thickness of your meat.