I have mentioned it before, but every Sunday night of my childhood we had junk food for dinner. Of course, I didn’t really realize it was junk food at the time. But now, looking back at all of the popcorn, cheese and crackers, chips and dip and coke floats we ate I sort of can’t believe my parents did that.
Not that it was bad. Actually, I think we ate pretty well growing up. My Mom cooked all of the time, I don’t have many memories going out to eat until I was a lot older.
I think Sunday night was kind of Mom’s night off. One night where she didn’t have to beg kids to finish dinner or cook all evening, then clean up, it was just a free night.
As an adult, I find myself needing those free nights sometimes. Meals that are delicious, easy and that always, always get eaten. This was how I felt last week. I was tired of mopping up paw prints, I was tired of laundry, and recipes, I was just tired!
So, I opted for a free night. I made this Pesto Chicken Dip and toasted some delicious gluten free bread and we ate dip for dinner and binge watched Big Bang Theory.
As it turns out, sometimes free nights are good for the soul.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Heat an oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 or oval baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, ricotta, ONE cup of the shredded cheddar, and the basil until very well combined.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and chopped bell pepper.
- Pour dip into baking dish and spread evenly. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar.
- Bake 30 minutes until gold and bubbly. Serve with toasted gluten free bread or veggies.
Other Easy Appetizers!