These gluten free Red Velvet Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting are a quick and easy treat!
Well hey there! Did you get snowed in? I guess I jinxed myself because just last week I talked about how we never get any snow and just the idea of winter weather sends us Southerners into a tizzy. Well, it happened! A real honest to goodness snow! I can’t even remember the last time we had several inches of perfectly fluffy, totally beautiful white snow. It looked just like a winter wonderland!
Our dogs were a little undecided on the snow at first but eventually they came around. Copper the lab just couldn’t figure out what was all over the ground and Zink the Husky channeled his inner snow dog and rolled around in it for a good while. Thankfully Mr. Maebell had the weekend off so we spent some much needed down time. We did some organizing, some things for the store, and a whole lot of Netflix binging! It was a nice family snow weekend!
And what do you do when you are snowed in? You do a little baking of course! I, of course, did not plan ahead and get groceries for actual meals before the snow which meant we ate scrambled eggs and cereal for four days straight but I did have all of the ingredients to make these soft and fluffy Red Velvet Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing. Priorities, right?
These cookies are made from a cake mix, like my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, which makes them super easy. They are dressed up with a little cocoa powder and a healthy dose of vanilla to make them extra delicious! The frosting is your basic rich and creamy cream cheese frosting. These cookies make a great Valentine’s Day treat! Or a really great “just because” dessert!
- Red Velvet Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 (15 ounce box) Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk (if needed to thin)
- Cookie Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer combine the cake mix, cocoa powder, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla and red food coloring. Mix until well combined, dough will be thick.
- Chill dough 30 minutes and roll into golf ball size balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack. Frost cookies when completely cool.
- Frosting Directions:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until a smooth frosting forms. Add a small amount of milk if needed to thin the frosting.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Glutino. Glutino is a wonderful gluten free brand with tons of great products. To find baking mixes and other gluten free treats check them out here! Thank you for supporting brands that support Maebells!
More Delicious Desserts