Ripe Bananas are paired with oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans for the perfect sweet and chewy treat!
Do you like baking with bananas? I love it! It adds the perfect amount of sweetness to a dish while helping keep it nice and moist. I always, always seem to have an abundance of overly ripe bananas on my hands. It doesn’t matter how well my intentions are to eat them before they turn brown, it just doesn’t happen.
On the up side, it gives me a perfect excuse to experiment with bananas in all kinds of baked goods. Of course I love banana bread, muffins, and packing them in pancakes or waffles, but sometimes I am looking for something a little different. Something a little heartier.
Pretty much every Sunday I make a few things for us to snack on during the week. The normal dishes include some form of granola, and something a little sweet like a granola bar or these little beauties. But I decided to try my hand at oatmeal bars. I wanted something soft and chewy packed with fruit, oats, nuts and cinnamon.
These bars are the perfect grab and go version of banana bread. They made a great breakfast option with a nice cup of coffee, or a healthy snack smeared with peanut butter on the top. So, if you you have some bananas lying around give these bars a try! You will love them!
- 2 cups gluten free Old Fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free Bisquick
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (measured solid, then melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, Bisquick, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pudding mix until well combined.
- Add bananas (you can mash bananas first if you are not using a stand mixer) honey, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir until completely combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan and spread evenly. Place pecan halves on top and mash lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and set.