I am a complete and total coffee addict.
Really, I am. It is so significant that when Mr. Maebell and I go on trips we seriously question whether or not we should pack our Keurig. Our coffee is on a scheduled delivery system from Amazon, which we buy in bulk. And just in case I haven’t driven the point home enough, we have a broken coffee cup we absolutely cannot part with because the it is the perfect size, and you can measure the perfect coffee to creamer ratio in it.
Caffeine intake is absolutely nothing to kid around with in this house.
While I can be held responsible for getting Mr. Maebell hooked on the stuff, there is one drink that did me in and turned me to the dark side.
Starbucks’ Coconut Mocha Frappuccino.
I was just a kid the first time I had this, probably thirteen or so (Um why was a thirteen year old drinking coffee? I have no idea.) I was completely in love with the dark chocolate, the bitter coffee, the strong taste of coconut all mixed together and topped with a ginormous serving of creamy whipped cream. It is summertime in a cup. The flavor combo has stuck with me ever since. So, while looking at the back of a box of Chocolate Chex I saw one recipe for a Mocha Chex mix, and another for a Coconut Macaroon Chex mix. Obviously, I had to mix the two. The end product is awfully close to my beloved Coconut Mocha Frap flavor. It is packed with Chocolate Chex, pecans, coconut toasted almonds, chocolate, coffee, and of course, coconut. This is a great snack to give you a quick pick me up.
Adapted from Chex.com
- 6 cups Chocolate Chex
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder*
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut toasted almonds (regular almonds would work too)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted for drizzling
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside
- In another bowl add the butter, honey, and condensed milk and microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it is smooth. Add in cocoa powder, and instant coffee. Microwave again if needed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate coffee mixture over cereal and lightly stir, add in almonds and pecans and continue to stir until mixture is coated.
- Spread mixture onto a large sheet of wax paper
- Sprinkle snack mix with coconut, and drizzle with melted chocolate chip. (I just microwave the chocolate chips 15-20 seconds at a time until melted, stir until smooth)
- Let mixture sit until it has cooled and store in an air tight container.
- *For a milder coffee flavor you can half this amount.