This creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe is the perfect comfort food! Tender chicken is paired with vegetables and gnocchi for a hearty, healthy meal!
Ingredients for Chicken Gnocchi Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make this creamy chicken soup you will need:
- Vegetables: you will need chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic, and spinach for this recipe. If you prefer, you can swap kale for spinach.
- Chicken: this recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breast, but chicken thighs will also work.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Chicken Broth: use good quality chicken stock.
- Gnocchi: shelf-stable gnocchi, usually found near the pasta is needed. You do not have to precook it. You can use regular or gluten-free gnocchi.
- Heavy Cream: This adds the perfect creamy element to the soup.
How to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Aside from the ingredients listed above you will need a dutch oven or stock pot for this recipe. Below you will find the exact steps to make this easy chicken soup.
Saute the Vegetables
Finely chop the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or stock pot. Saute the vegetables while occasionally stirring for 4-5 minutes until they have softened slightly.
Next, add the chicken right on top of the vegetables. You do not need to do anything to the chicken, aside from trimming the fat if desired. Simply place the chicken in the dutch oven.
Add Spices and Broth
Sprinkle the spices over the chicken and pour the broth into the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Once the soup is simmering, place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred or slice with forks. The chicken should be very tender and shred easily. Once shredded add the chicken back to the pot.
After you have added the chicken to the pot add the shelf-stable gnocchi to the soup. The soup should be on low. Stir the gnocchi into the soup and after a few minutes, it will soften and puff slightly. If you are unfamiliar with gnocchi they are soft cloud-like dumplings.
Add the Heavy Cream and Spinach
The final step is to stir in the heavy cream and chopped spinach. Stir the soup well and cook 5-10 more minutes over low. The soup is ready when the gnocchi is tender and the spinach has wilted.
This easy chicken soup is best served with freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago. You can also serve this with a bread of your choice. If you are gluten-free these Red Lobster Biscuits are an amazing option. Alternatively, serving with garlic bread or garlic knots would also be amazing!
Store any soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
To freeze this soup allow it to cool completely and transfer to a large freezer bag, or soup coup tray. You can store this soup in the freezer up to 2 months.
- To reheat unfrozen soup microwave in 30-second increments until warm, or reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- To reheat frozen soup remove the soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight. Follow the directions above.
Chicken Soup FAQ
Yes, you will need at least a 6 quart pot or dutch oven, preferably an 8 quart.
You will need shelf-stable gnocchi for this recipe. This can be found near the pasta at most grocery stores. Regular or gluten free gnocchi will work in this recipe.
Yes, this works very well with a turkey breast in place of chicken.
If you love this Chicken Soup Recipe you will Also Love:
- White Bean Chicken Chili: one of our most popular soup recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Chili: everything you love about white bean chili but with a spicy buffalo chicken kick!
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken: an easy recipe great for wraps, salads, sandwiches, and more.
- Spicy Thai Salad with Chicken: this Panera copycat recipe is one of our favorite salad recipes!
- Chicken Gnocchi with Mushrooms: an easy one pan meal loaded with flavor!
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon each poultry seasoning and Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder and onion powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounce package shelf stable gnocchi
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat. Add the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the chicken to the pot, and top with the spices and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, place the lid on the soup and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Allow the soup to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chicken is tender and cooked through remove it from the pot and shred.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add the gnocchi and stir the soup well.
- Stir in the heavy cream and chopped spinach. Place the lid on the soup and allow the spinach to cook.
- Serve when the gnocchi is soft and the spinach has wilted.
- Serve with shredded parmesan and add salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 16.3gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 802mgCarbohydrates: 18.4gNet Carbohydrates: 16.4gFiber: 2gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 29g