These Flank Steak Tacos will be your next staple for Taco Tuesday! Tender steak is combined with a delicious marinade to create a healthy, satisfying steak taco recipe that is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Mexican dishes are delicious. You wouldn’t be reading this if you didn’t agree. Yet, it can be tough to make healthy choices with moderate portions when eating Mexican food, especially when eating out! These steak tacos are an easy, healthy way to make a delicious Mexican meal at home in less than 30 minutes!
These steak tacos use flank steak which is a lean, inexpensive cut of beef. The flank steak is marinated in a zesty, lime marinade and then topped with delicious cheese and vegetables. Our recipe includes our favorite toppings, but don’t shy away from using this recipe as a base. You can make your own tweaks to the toppings or marinade based on your preferred taste.
These steak tacos are a great choice for busy evenings. You can do a lot of the prep ahead of time which will cut down even more on the time needed to prepare these flank steak tacos.
What You Will Love About These Steak Tacos
- Quick and Easy. From start to finish these steak tacos only take 25 minutes!
- Customizable. This recipe provides a great opportunity to make your own alterations to toppings or seasonings to create your perfect steak taco.
- Minimal cleanup. These steak tacos require minimal prep and require only a pan or grill to cook.
Ingredients for Steak Tacos
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make these flank steak tacos. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling to the printable recipe card.
Marinated Steak Ingredients
- Flank steak: Other cuts like skirt, round, or other lean, thin beef cuts could work too but flank steak is recommended
- Cooking oil: Any neutral oil will work but we prefer avocado or olive oil.
- Brown sugar: An underrated ingredient that really adds to the flavor
- Lime, juiced and zested
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, black pepper
Tortilla and Toppings:
- Corn tortillas: You can use flour tortillas if you prefer, but we prefer the flavor of corn tortillas. Unlike most corn tortillas, flour tortillas are not gluten free.
- Cojita cheese, crumbled: Helps create the perfect blend of flavor and texture
- Pico de gallo (or salsa of choice): Adds flavor
- Avocados, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
How to Make Steak Tacos
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will just need a cutting board, knife, bowl or ziplock bag, and a skillet or grill. Follow the step-by-step directions to make the best steak tacos!
Marinate the steak
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours for the best flavor and tenderness.
Grill the steak
Oil a grill pan or outdoor grill and preheat to medium-high heat. Grill the flank steak for 6-7 minutes on each side. The cook time is determined by your preferred cut. The most reliable way to monitor your steak is to use a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached your preferred level of doneness. After you remove your steak from the skillet or grill, remember that the temperature will rise a few degrees while resting. Here’s a simple guide to temperatures and doneness:
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees F or 57 degrees C
- Medium: 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C
- Medium Well: 150 degrees F or 66 degrees C
- Well: 160 degrees F or 71 degrees C
Assemble the tacos
Remove the steak and set on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes to rest. Slice the steak against the grain. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas on the grill or in a pan. Assemble the tacos with the steak, corn tortillas, cheese, salsa, avocados, red onion, and cilantro!
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- FRIDGE – You can store the steak in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- FREEZER – After cooling to room temperature, transfer steak to a freezer-safe container and enjoy within 3-6 months for the best texture.
- REHEATING – For the best leftovers, reserve some of the marinade (BEFORE the raw meat goes in it) or make a double batch to store in the fridge. Pour reserved marinade over it and warm it covered in the oven (350 degrees F) until it reaches about 120-125 degrees F. You can also microwave in 20-second increments at 50% power until warmed to your desired level. If reheating for tacos, also warm some fresh tortillas for the best leftovers!
How to Properly Marinate Flank Steak Tacos
Using a marinade adds flavor and it tenderizes the meat. Your meat will be more tender if you can marinate it for several hours in a mixture that can break down the tissue in the meat! Marinades may use an acid (like vinegar or citrus juice) or enzymes. This recipe utilizes lime juice.
How Long to Marinate Steak
If you’re in a rush and are more concerned about adding flavor vs. tenderness, you could marinate for as little as 30 minutes! This won’t be enough time for the marinade to improve the tenderness, but it will still add a great flavor.
Meat must tenderize for at least two hours to increase tenderness. Marinating for 12 hours is considered ideal. You don’t want to marinate longer than 24 hours as the acid will break down tissue too much, changing the texture of the steak.
What to Serve With Flank Steak Tacos
- Seasoned Black Beans– This healthy, easy black bean recipe includes canned black beans simmered in spices. This recipe is great for tacos, salads, burritos and more!
- Smoked Queso– Perfect for cookouts, camping, tailgates, and summer parties! This smoky, cheesy dip is made on the grill for an easy low carb appetizer.
- Sweet Corn Salsa– Packed with grilled sweet corn, fresh tomatoes and lime juice, this is a salsa you will love on chips, tacos and wraps!
Why and How to Cut Meat Against the Grain
Flank steak is an excellent cut of meat when cut and cooked properly. It is best when cut in thin slices that are cut against the grain. The grain of the meat is the direction the muscle fibers run across the meat. It is easiest to identify the direction of the fibers when the meat is raw.
Cutting meat against the grain will create the desired texture for eating. The meat is less chewy and more tender. Once you have identified the direction of the muscle fibers, you will cut your slices of flank steak perpendicular to the direction of the fibers.
Steak Taco FAQ
Yes, it is gluten-free if prepared as described in the recipe.
Yes, other lean beef cuts could work too but flank steak is recommended
This recipe can be made low carb. Brown sugar monkfruit can be used in place of traditional brown sugar. You can also use Carb Balance tortillas to make this keto-friendly.
This will likely depend on how much time you have, but see our instructions above on how to properly marinate flank steak or follow this link for even more information on cooking with flank steak.
For the Steak
- 1 ½ lbs flank steak
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp EACH chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
For the Tacos
- ½ cup cojita cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup pico de gallo (or salsa of choice)
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Corn tortillas (flour, gluten free or low carb will also work)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak
and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Oil a grill pan or outdoor grill, and preheat to medium-high heat, approximately 400 degrees F. Grill the flank steak for 6-7 minutes on each side. **Use a meat thermometer to determine when to remove your steak follow this as a guide:
Medium Rare: 135 degrees F or 57 degrees C
Medium: 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C
Medium Well: 150 degrees F or 66 degrees C
Well: 160 degrees F or 71 degrees C
- Remove the steak and set on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes to rest. Slice the
steak against the grain. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas on the grill or in a pan.
- Assemble the tacos with the steak, corn tortillas, cheese, salsa, avocados, red onion,
Flank steak must be marinated, it is important not to skip this step!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 steak tacos (nutrition calculated using carb balance tortillas)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 20gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 840mgCarbohydrates: 28gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 20gSugar: 2.5gProtein: 34g