This Chocolate Covered Cherry Crisp is the ultimate Summer treat! Fresh cherries are topped with a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie crumb topping!
If you were to ask me a year ago if I liked cherries the answer would have been heck no! I would have been infatic on that point. No cherries. Ever. In anything.
Cherry flavored cough syrup.
See, I don’t think I had ever really had cherries. Like real fresh cherries before, but I had tried that awful medicine. I just thought that is what cherries tasted like. So chocolate covered cherries, cherry smoothies, cherry anything was just not an option. No no no.
Until I spotted them for .99 last summer. I got brave and decided to try them. Um, they taste NOTHING like cough medicine. Why do they even name it cherry flavored? I just do not understand. Because of those silly mislabeled medicines I have been missing out for years! Well, no more! I have made it my mission to get as many delicious cherries as I can this Summer, starting with this Chocolate Covered Cherry Crisp!
Crisps and cobblers are my favorite desserts. I love what happens when you combine fresh juicy fruit with oats, sugar and butter. It is like magic. And this version takes it to a whole new level!
This crisp comes together pretty easily. The hardest part is pitting two pounds of fresh cherries. You just layer those beautiful, juicy cherries in the bottom of a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Then make up your chocolate chip oatmeal topping.
This topping is insane. It takes just like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, which happen to be my favorite. It is super simple because you just throw some flour, oats, sugar and butter in a bowl and mix it really well with your hands. The key to a good crisp is to make sure the butter is thoroughly incorporated with the rest of the toppings so you get a perfectly crispy, buttery topping.
When the topping is blended really well I add the dark chocolate chips and pecans.
When this comes out of the oven all hot and bubbly it is a little piece of heaven. Sweet fruit with rich dark chocolate and crisp oatmeal topping all topped with a big scoop of ice cream.
What more could you want?!
- For the Cherry Filling
- 2 pounds dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the Chocolate Covered Cherry Crisp
- 1/2 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used GF Bisquick)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a mixing bowl combine the cherries and sugar and stir well.
- Grab a large cast iron skillet or deep dish pie pan and spray with cooking oil.
- Pour cherries into pan.
- Wipe your mixing bowl clean and combine the oats, flour, brown sugar well. Then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or use your hands to blend in the butter. It should be combined well and the mixture will be crumbly. Add the chocolate chips and pecans and mix well.
- Pour the oatmeal topping over your berries, making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes and serve warm with ice cream.