Warm and fluffy Dark Chocolate Popovers with fresh Raspberry Syrup!
This whole growing up thing is weird. Last weekend, I went home for my best childhood friend’s baby shower. We both live in different places, far away from our hometown and we only see each other about twice a year.
We chit chat often but for the most part, we are friends from afar. I love her, I miss her and I know she feels the same but we have come to terms with the fact we won’t ever ride bikes to each others houses again or have sleep overs. We are grown up friends in grown up places.
I know that. Logically, I understand. But within minutes of seeing her this weekend all those years faded away. She was Katie and I was Annie and we were gossipy girls again.
It was as if no time had passed. I have always loved that about our friendship. Whenever you find a friend like that, hold them tight!
When the shower was over, we stood around much longer than we should avoiding our goodbyes. She and I stood outside the little country church as the sun was setting and said a tearful goodbye.
We hugged a bit longer and a bit tighter than normal with her big baby belly in between us. It is the last time I will see her before she has a family of her own. I drove away, down the winding country back roads to my parents house and passed the roads she and I played on and the fields we learned to drive in and I couldn’t help but smile.
I pray no matter how many miles and how many years pass life always brings us back together. And now chocolate, because…well why not? I may have drowned my sorrows of adulthood in this Brownie Pie while Mr. Maebell requested Keto Chocolate Sugar Cookies.
Ingredients for Chocolate Popovers
As always, here is quick run down of the ingredients you will need for Popovers with Raspberry Syrup. For the complete recipe, just keep scrolling.
For the Chocolate Popovers:
- Gluten free Bisquick- if you only have regular Bisquick, that works fine.
- Salt- table salt or kosher salt will work
- Cocoa powder- a high quality cocoa powder is a pantry staple
- Coconut sugar- if you aren’t keto, you can use regular sugar
- Eggs- size large
- Milk- I used 2%
- Dark chocolate- if you don’t prefer dark chocolate, milk chocolate will also work
For the Raspberry Syrup:
- Raspberries- fresh, not frozen
- Coconut sugar- again, if you aren’t keto, regular sugar is fine
- Corn starch
How do you prepare Popovers with Raspberry Sauce?
These popovers are indulgently flavored with rich dark chocolate and topped with an amazing raspberry syrup to bring them all together with a tarty sweetness. Here is how we make them!
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Place a 12 count muffin tin or a 12 count popover pan into the warming oven. Next, whisk together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and sugar until combined.
Following this, whisk together your eggs and milk in a separate bowl. Fold into the flour mixture until combined. Add half of your chopped dark chocolate to the mixture.
Remove the baking tins from the oven and either spray with nonstick spray or brush with one tablespoon of melted butter. Working quickly, pour batter into the tins until they are 3/4 full. Sprinkle the rest of the dark chocolate over the tops of the popovers.
Next, bake for 20 minutes. While your popovers are baking, start your Raspberry Sauce. Combine the raspberries, water and sugar in a small pot and heat to simmer.
Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes. After the mixture is done simmering, strain out the raspberry seeds and discard them. Afterwards, combine water and corn starch in a small bowl.
Pour into the strained raspberry sauce and return the mixture to the stove top to heaten and thicken. Finally, pour the Raspberry Syrup over your Chocolate Popovers and serve warm! These Popovers are such a huge hit in our house, Mr. Maebell and I cleared them out in two days!
How to Store and Reheat Chocolate Popovers with Raspberry Syrup
If you miraculously happen to have leftovers, these popovers are a breeze to store. Simply place in an airtight container (do not layer them, as they could press into each other) and leave on the counter. They will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
For the Raspberry Syrup, place in a glass jar or plastic container with an airtight lid and put into the fridge. This Syrup will stay good for 3-4 days.
To reheat, place a Popover on a microwave safe plate and heat for 15 second intervals until your desired temperature is met. For the Raspberry Syrup, place in a small bowl and warm in ten second increments or heat on the stove top, whichever you prefer.
Other Chocolate Recipes You May Be Interested In
- Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies (low carb + keto)
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies (keto + low carb)
- Almond Butter Brownies (low carb)
For the Chocolate Popovers:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free Bisquick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dark chocolate
For the Raspberry Syrup:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons warm water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, Heat a 12 count muffin tin or 12 count popover pan in the warming oven.
- Whisk together flour, salt, cocoa powder and sugar until combined.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a separate bowl and fold into the flour mixture until completely blended.
- Add half of the chopped dark chocolate.
- Remove the baking tins from the oven and quickly spray with cooking spray (or brush with one tablespoon of melted butter)
- Working quickly, pour the batter into the baking tins filling 3/4 full. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate over the top of the batter.
- Bake 20 minutes.
For the Raspberry Sauce:
- Combine the raspberries, water and sugar in a pot and heat to medium and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and discard the seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and corn starch and pour into the raspberry sauce. Return to heat and let the mixture thicken.
- Serve over warm popovers with additional chocolate and fresh raspberries
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 7.5gCholesterol: 63.6mgSodium: 365.4mgCarbohydrates: 26.5gNet Carbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 11.7gProtein: 5.3g