Easy Italian Sausage Balls! A flavor packed, low carb, keto-friendly appetizer that is so easy to make!
A few years ago my Mom and I were trying to figure out some fun appetizers for a family get together. As we were flipping through cookbooks and naming off dishes the idea of making Sausage Balls was thrown out there. We dismissed the idea at first because we usually just have Sausage Balls for breakfast and this was an evening get together. Then it dawned on us, why has nobody ever tried this with Italian Sausage?
We made them, devoured them, and then wanted more. Basically, they are kind of life changing because it is SUCH an easy appetizer to whip up and there are never ever any left overs. Ever.
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Balls
As always, you will find the printable recipe and instruction card at the bottom of this post. This is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Italian Sausage
- Cream Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Spices: Italian seasoning and garlic powder
How do you make Keto Sausage Balls?
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. You just need to combine the Italian sausage, cream cheese, almond flour, baking powder, spices and mozzarella cheese until completely combined. Roll into small, golf ball size balls and place on a large baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-24 minutes until cooked through. Place the sausage balls on a wire rack to drain off any grease.
How many carbs are in these sausage balls?
This recipe makes about 28 golf ball size sausage balls. This means each sausage ball has 0.8 net carbs each. Pair with a low carb marinara for dipping and this is a great keto-friendly, gluten free snack!
Tips and Tricks for the Best Sausage Balls
- Room temperature cream cheese is much easier to mix.
- Using an electric mixer, specifically a stand mixer, is easier than mixing by hand.
- Roll the balls into a uniform size, keep them golf ball size or slightly smaller.
- I suggest baking on a silicone baking mat, they will never stick and they bake evenly.
As another big bonus you can totally customize this based on your preferences. I normally use spicy Italian sausage, but depending on what you like you can use mild or sweet Italian sausage to give this a completely different flavor! This is an easy appetizer to keep in mind for the holidays! I suggest making a double batch because…well because why not?
Other Keto Appetizers
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated. I find this easiest in my stand mixer.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet or line with silicone baking sheets
- Roll the sausage balls into golf ball size balls.
- Bake 20-24 minutes.
Nutrition is calculated per sausage ball.
Serve with a low carb marinara for dipping if keeping keto.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 Sausage Ball (nutrition calculated per sausage ball)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 5gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 1gNet Carbohydrates: 0.8gFiber: 0.2gSugar: 0.4gProtein: 4.1g