Make a perfect batch of oatmeal to feed a crowd! This Instant Pot Oatmeal requires just 15 minutes of cook time and comes out perfectly creamy and delicious! You can easily switch up the toppings to make your perfect bowl of oatmeal!
Oatmeal is the perfect comfort food. It is simple, inexpensive, and versatile. It has a creamy texture and a slightly nutty flavor that is both satisfying and delicious. Oatmeal is an excellent source of fiber and protein, and it can be customized with a variety of toppings such as fresh fruit, nuts, and honey. Whether you prefer it loaded with toppings or you prefer it simple, oatmeal is a nutritious and filling way to start your day.
What You Will Love About this Recipe
- Kid Friendly-This recipe works great for kiddos! You can add whatever toppings they like such as fruit, nuts, chocolate, or honey!
- Healthy– Oats have many benefits, they have been linked to stabilizing blood sugar levels, lowering cholesterol, and overall heart health.
- Inexpensive– Old Fashioned oats come in large containers and make many servings for minimal cost, this is an excellent budget-friendly recipe.
Ingredients for Perfect Oatmeal
As always, this is an overview of the ingredients you will need to make the perfect oatmeal in the instant pot! To get the complete, printable recipe simply scroll to the recipe box below.
- Old Fashion Oats: these are the traditional oats most people already enjoy. If you prefer oatmeal made with Steel Cut Oats follow this recipe, the two oats are quite different and are not interchangeable in recipes.
- Water: oats must cook in liquid, and regular dairy milk is not an option in an Instant Pot because it will curdle.
- Coconut Milk: specifically, full-fat coconut milk. This adds a scrumptious creamy texture and delightful flavor.
- Maple Syrup: Another liquid sweetener such as agave, honey or sugar-free maple syrup will work as well.
How to Make Instant Pot Oatmeal
In addition to the ingredients listed below, you will need an Instant Pot. Follow the guide below to make the perfect large batch of oatmeal!
Add Ingredients to Instant Pot
Add the oats, water, coconut milk, maple syrup, and coconut extract to your Instant Pot and stir to combine the ingredients. It is important to stir everything well and make sure no maple syrup is stuck to the bottom of the pan, otherwise, you will get the burn message.
Secure the lid, and pressure cook on high for 1 minute. Remember, after you select the cooking time it will take between 5-10 minutes for the machine to come to pressure. Once the machine has come to pressure, the clock will begin counting down from the 1-minute cook time. Once complete, allow a natural release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of natural release, release the pressure using the valve on the lid.
Open the lid and stir the oatmeal well. It will be nice and creamy like the image above. You can stir in a little milk, heavy cream, or additional coconut milk if you would like your oatmeal even creamier. Next, just scoop the oatmeal into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. I love this oatmeal with fresh blueberries and toasted coconut. This is a healthy, filling breakfast that leaves you feeling satisfied.
Options for Oatmeal Toppings
- Fresh Fruit: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, sliced bananas, peaches, plums, or pears.
- Nuts and Seeds: pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews peanuts, chia, hemp, or sesame seeds.
- Nut Butter or Spreads: peanut, almond, or cashew butter, as well as Nutella, or lemon curd.
- Sweet Treats: shredded coconut, chocolate chips, toffee bits, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips.
- Spices and Extracts: apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, vanilla, almond, or maple syrup.
Oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To make this easy for weekly meal prep, store the oatmeal in individual containers. Simply warm the oatmeal in the microwave in 30-second increments until warm. Depending on the consistency you prefer you may need to add a splash of milk or almond milk when rewarming.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Feel free to substitute honey or agave instead of maple syrup.
- DO NOT use regular milk in this recipe, it will curdle in the pressure cooker.
- The pressure cooker will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, then the cooking cycle will begin.
- This recipe will not work with a different type of oat. Use Old Fashioned Oats only for this recipe.
Can I make this without coconut?
Yes, if you prefer to make this oatmeal without coconut milk or coconut extract you will need to use 1 cup of almond milk instead of coconut milk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract instead of coconut extract.
No, if you want to make Instant Pot Oatmeal using a different kind of oats you will need to follow this recipe.
No, you cannot add milk to the Instant Pot because it will curdle. Instead, you can use a dairy-free alternative such as almond or oat milk if you wish.
Yes, gluten-free Old Fashioned oats will also work in this recipe.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Frittata: This Easy Frittata Recipe is packed with bacon, broccoli, and cheddar cheese!
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos: Warm tortillas are filled with eggs, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole: This hearty breakfast is loaded with sausage, eggs, and cheese. Perfect for a holiday brunch or weekend breakfast!
- Basic Chaffle Recipe: Low-carb keto-friendly waffles, grain and gluten-free.
Instant Pot Oatmeal
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- Add the oats, water, coconut milk, maple syrup, and coconut extract to your Instant Pot and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Secure the lid, and pressure cook on high for 1 minute. Remember, it will take the machine between 5-10 minutes to come to pressure. Once the cooking cycle has complete, allow a natural release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of natural release, release the pressure using the valve on the lid.
-This can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months!
-Maple syrup isn’t necessary and can be left out if desired.
-Coconut extract can be substituted for vanilla but it will remove a lot of the coconut flavor.