This Cheesy Potato Soup is a one pan, 30 minute meal! This gluten free comfort food is one your entire family will love! Top this cheesy potato soup with bacon and green onions!
Soup season has always been my favorite. I think there is something so comforting about a nice warm bowl of soup on a chilly day. While I truly enjoy all kinds of soup but potato soup is always at the top of my list. Cheesy potato soup topped with crispy bacon, fresh green onions and shredded cheddar cheese is always a crowd pleaser. This is my favorite easy cheesy potato soup reason because it takes only 30 minutes and is made in one pot. This is a perfect short cut recipe that works for busy days.
Can Cheesy Potato Soup be made ahead of time?
This soup is a great option for a freezer or meal prep because it reheats perfectly. I actually recently made a batch for my sister in law for an “after baby” meal. Just thaw and reheat! Depending on how thick you like your soup you may want to thin it with a little bit of milk or broth. Of course this is also a good gluten free lunch because it makes a good amount and reheats and stores so well.
What toppings go well with Potato Soup?
Of course the classic bacon, green onions and cheddar cheese topping are my favorite. However, if you want to mix things up here are some great topping ideas!
- Diced Ham
- Jalapeno Slices
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Red Onion
- Oyster Crackers (if not gluten free)
- A drizzle of buffalo sauce
- 8 medium russet or Idaho potatoes, chopped fairly small
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pan bring the potatoes, broth, onion, garlic, and salt to a boil.
- Let the potatoes boil (not just simmer) for approximately 20 minutes until potatoes are beginning to fall apart.
- Cut the softened cream cheese into chunks and set aside. (it MUST be softened first if you use reduced fat, otherwise it will not have a very smooth texture)
- When potatoes are tender and falling apart add the chunks of cream cheese, shredded cheese, milk and spices. Stir until the cream cheese and shredded cheese have dissolved.
- Using an immersion blender blend the soup to a fairly creamy consistency, leaving some chunks of potatoes.
- Top with crisp bacon, additional cheese, and green onions
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333 Total Fat: 12.9g Cholesterol: 35mg Carbohydrates: 41.4g Fiber: 3.2g Protein: 15.3g
Check Out These Other Great Comfort Food Dishes!