These light and healthy Easy Fish Tacos with Zesty Slaw are packed with flavor and ready in just 20 minutes! This dish is gluten free and perfect for busy weeknights!
When we were in college there was a restaurant downtown that had a gluten free menu we frequented. Mr. Maebell always got the Chicken Nachos, but I liked to experiment so I would study the menu like a textbook and carefully make my choice.
I would confidently announce it to the waitress and then say “wait!….let me think…is that really what I want?” and I would have to look at the menu again. I love Mexican dishes and have a few that are regular staples in our dinner routine, including Easy Keto Nachos and a Keto Chicken Fajita Quesadilla.
But I’d never ventured into many new dishes at our restaurant- I liked what I liked! But one night I was feeling really wild and ordered Fish Tacos. Fish Tacos aren’t really a thing where we are from.
I had actually never heard of them and I couldn’t quite imagine how they would taste. When dinner was served, I was presented a giant plate full of rice, black beans, and warm fish tacos filled with with spicy, perfectly flaky fish with a cool creamy dressing and crunchy cabbage.
I was sold. The entire combination was irresistible and such a far cry from the fried fish and hush puppies I had grown accustomed to. It was fresh, light and packed with flavor. I have been a Fish Taco connoisseur ever since.
So I decided I needed to make my own! These Easy Fish Tacos with Zesty Slaw combine everything I loved about that meal in college. It is healthy, filling and ready in about 20 minutes!
What ingredients do you need for fish tacos?
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete recipe just keep scrolling.
- White Fish: such as cod or tilapia
- Spices: chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Corn Tortillas: flour tortilla work if you are not gluten free
- Vegetables: Slaw (Shredded Cabbage), Avocado, Lime, Green Onions and Jalapeños
- Ranch dressing
- Hot sauce
How do you make fish tacos?
- Cut your fish into small pieces that will fit your tortilla well. Lay the fish on a cutting board and set aside. Combine the spices into a small bowl to make a savory, slightly spicy rub for your fish. Sprinkle on each side of the fish and lightly rub it on with your fingers.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Sear the fish 2-3 minutes on each side. Your cooking time will vary depending on how big your slices are, but it is done when the fish flakes easily. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm. An alternative method is to grill your fish. Using a gill plate (because the small slices of fish can be difficult to grill without falling apart) heat a grill to high heat (400 degrees) and grill 2-3 minutes on each side until it flakes easily.
- To assemble your fish tacos, simply wrap in a warm corn tortilla and top with the jalapeño slaw or your favorite fixing!
What fish should I use for fish tacos?
I prefer cod for fish tacos because it is light, flaky and doesn’t have as strong of a fishy taste as some varieties do. However, aside from cod there are other varieties that work well.
You can use halibut, tilapia, mahi mahi or snapper if you prefer. You can really make these tacos into whatever your prefer- they’re so easy to customize!
Toppings for Fish Tacos
I think a zesty slaw is essential for the perfect fish taco! However, there are some other great toppings you might like as well!
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped radishes
- Green onions
- Fresh lime juice
- Feta cheese (surprisingly delicious!)
- Purple cabbage instead of regular cabbage in the slaw
What goes with fish tacos?
One of my favorite things about fish tacos is that it really makes a complete meal on its own. With perfectly cooked fish, tortillas and a slaw packed with veggies it really has everything you need!
However, there are some other sides that go great with this meal. I always enjoy:
For the Zesty Slaw:
- 1 3/4 cup shredded cabbage (slaw mix)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Fish Tacos:
- 1 1/2 pounds white fish, such as tilapia or cod, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, chopped
- For the slaw: Combine all of the ingredients and stir well. Chill while you cook the fish.
- For the tacos: cut the fish into small pieces that will fit your tortilla well. Combine the spices into a small bowl sprinkle on each side of the fish and lightly rub it on with your fingers.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a enough oil to very lightly coat the bottom. Sear the fish 2-3 minutes on each side. Your cooking time will vary depending on how big your slices are, but it is done when the fish flakes easily. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- To assemble your fish tacos, simply wrap in a warm corn tortilla and top with the jalapeño slaw and avocado.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 17gCholesterol: 67.7mgSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 31.6gNet Carbohydrates: 23.1gFiber: 8.5gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 31.1g