I am kind of an obsessive person.
I don’t mean to be but when I find something I like I tend to just run with it.
What do I mean? Well Target makes my favorite t-shirt. I have the exact same shirt in about seventeen different patterns. Mr. Maebell and I have all of the seasons of Friends on DVD and we watch it over and over and over. I could act the entire sitcom out for you. Or I found this pair of earrings I really liked last summer so I bought all of the colors. All of them. Or with food, if I make something we like I make it over and over in slightly different ways.
Ugh. I exhaust myself.
That is why you will see eggs cooked a zillion different ways with a zillion different things. We love them! I can’t help it.
This is one of our new favorite go to breakfasts or really quick dinners. You just take two corn tortillas, fill them up with all kinds of good stuff like red peppers, jalapeños, and shredded cheese then top it with an egg. Just pop them in the oven and about ten minutes later your done. It is so easy even Mr. Maebell can handle this himself!
I had a few emails from readers that they had a problem with the egg sliding off the tortilla, I have not had that issue, but I have come up with three methods to do this, so here we go!
Probably the best thing about this is that you can easily adapt it based on what you have on hand. I really like the flavor combo of ham and red pepper, as well as the fact that there is no prep work. But I think sausage, bacon, or country ham would also be great. I think next time I may try a bacon and avocado combo.
These are kind of fun, aren’t they? I can see this being a great breakfast for when you have company, just set out some little bowls of fillings and have them assemble their own. I like it!
3 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- This is what you would need to make two stacks, multiply as needed for more.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4-6 slices of deli ham (I adore the Boars Head Tavern Ham)
- 1/4 of a whole red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/8 cup shredded cheese
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spay, lay two tortillas down, top with peppers, ham, and cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas,carefully crack egg over top (**see notes)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Mine were perfect at 12, but I would start checking at the ten minute mark.
- Enjoy with salsa, sour cream and avocado!
- **Make sure your tortillas are completely flat before cracking the egg over the top, or it will slide right off. There are two ways to prevent the egg from sliding. Place the toppings on the outer edges on the tortilla creating a "well" then top it with the second tortilla and place the egg in the indiction, or well that you created.
- Alternatively, you can make sure your topping are evenly distributed and mash the top tortilla with your hand to ensure a flat surface.
- Lastly, gently and carefully place these in the oven to prevent the egg from sliding.
Check Out These Other Protein Packed Breakfast Ideas