Start your day with these protein packed Breakfast Potatoes! Bacon, egg and cheddar cheese are packed in a crispy potato skin and seasoned with spicy green chilies! This easy breakfast recipe is perfect for meal prep, brunch or a family get together!
Sometimes you need a hearty and filling breakfast, and these Breakfast Potatoes certainly fit that description! Crispy potato skins are covered with a layer of zesty green chilies, then filled with a mixture of crunchy bacon, buttery eggs, more chilies and sharp cheddar! Everyone is going to love the unique flavor of these stuffed potato skins, even your pickiest eaters!
These Breakfast Potatoes are the perfect grab-and-go meal, making them ideal for breakfast meal prep. They are also very easy to prepare ahead of time and are simple to reheat. You’ll also get a generous serving of protein with this recipe, helping to keep you full and going throughout your day!
Ingredients in our Breakfast Potatoes recipe
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Breakfast Potatoes. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Russet potatoes
- Salt, pepper and olive oil (or butter)
- Bacon- cooked and chopped
- Eggs, cottage cheese, green chilies, cheddar cheese
How to Bake a Potato in the Oven
First, wash your potatoes and pat them dry. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Rub the outside of the potatoes with either olive oil or melted butter and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Test your potatoes to ensure that they are fork tender, then remove and cut in half.
How to make Breakfast Potatoes
After you have baked your potatoes in the oven, allow them to cool. Scoop out the insides of the potatoes (save these for mashed potatoes for dinner!), making sure to leave a portion of the potato around the skin. This will help the potato skin to hold its shape.
Reduce the oven heat to 375 and bake your potatoes open side down for 12 more minutes. While those are baking, mix together your eggs and cottage cheese. Fold in green chilies, bacon and cheddar cheese. Spoon some green chilies into the bottoms of the potato skins, add your egg mixture (I filled to about 3/4 of the potato skin) and top with more cheddar. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the filling is set.
Tips for the best Potato Skins
- Bake your potatoes, don’t fry them! Frying potatoes allows too much grease in the skin, so when you remove the insides of the potatoes they will no longer hold their shape
- Use russet potatoes. These potatoes are large enough to be hollowed out and still remain intact
- Make Mashed Potatoes with the leftover insides of the potatoes!
- Add toppings! Try chopped bell pepper, tomatoes or green onions!
How to Store and Reheat Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
To store, simply place in the fridge in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid. These potatoes will stay fresh for up to five days. To reheat, you can either microwave in 30 second increments until warm, or wrap in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes or the Air Fryer for 5-7 minutes.
Is this potato skins recipe good for breakfast meal prep?
Yes! This is a fantastic meal prep recipe because you can make a large batch ahead of time, and they will warm up very well. You can also warm up one of these Breakfast Potatoes and run out the door, making your mornings even easier!
More breakfast recipes
More potato recipes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil or butter for rubbing
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped tomato, green onion or bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Wash potatoes well and dry completely.
- Rub the potatoes with a bit of olive oil or melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let cool until they are easy to handle.
- Remove the insides of the potatoes (I used a metal teaspoon to scoop it out) be sure to leave a bit of potato around the skin or it will not hold. See photos for a reference.
- Reduce heat to 375 and bake the potato skins open side down for 12 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and cottage cheese. Fold in the green chilies, bacon and half of the shredded cheese.
- Fill the bottom of the potato skins with a spoonful of green chilies.
- Pour in the egg mixture, fill the potato skins 3/4 full and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the filling is set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 potato skin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 21.7gCholesterol: 229.6mgSodium: 812.8mgCarbohydrates: 23.5gNet Carbohydrates: 21.1gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 19.4g