This Slow Cooker Peppermint Mocha Hot Cocoa features ultra rich hot chocolate spiked with peppermint extract and espresso!
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite holiday hacks, slow cooker hot chocolate! There is simply no better way to welcome loved ones into your home than with a piping hot cup of rich hot cocoa! By making this recipe in the slow cooker you can keep it warm for hours and allow your guests to serve themselves!
Just set up a quick little DIY hot chocolate bar with tops of toppings, festive mugs, spoons and napkins and you have the makings of a day they won’t soon forget!
Ingredients Needed for Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Chips: traditional or Lily’s sugar free for a keto friendly option
- Sweetener: traditional sugar or monkfruit for a low carb, keto friendly option
- Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Heavy Cream
- Espresso or very strongly brewed coffee
How do you make Peppermint Hot Cocoa?
This is truly the easiest recipe ever. You don’t need to spend a ton of time prepping or standing over this recipe. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, set the temperature too low and cover. Be sure to whisk the mixture every 20 minutes or so the first hour, that is about how long it takes to warm through and melt the chocolate.
Will hot cocoa burn in the crock pot?
If you are worried your hot chocolate will burn or curdle in the crock pot, don’t be. The temperature is kept on low, and you will be whisking the mixture occasionally. The hot chocolate will not get hot enough to burn or curdle, it will just be warm enough to enjoy with marshmallows and whipped cream!
Do I have to add the coffee?
No, you do not. If you prefer traditional hot chocolate simply leave out the peppermint extract and espresso for a delicious, rich drink. Alternatively, if you want a Peppermint Hot Cocoa, use the peppermint extract and skip the coffee only.
Can you make Keto Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate?
Of course! I have included recipe notes to make this amazing slow cooker hot chocolate low carb and keto friendly. Keep in mind the only changes you need to make are to use a keto friendly sweetener such as monkfruit, sugar free chocolate chips, such as Lily’s and almond milk in place of regular milk. Easy peasy!
What are some other holiday recipes?
If you are looking for other ways to simplify your holiday to do list I have several easy recipes that will fit the bill. This easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole is prepped the night before. Simply pop in the oven for about an hour the next morning and you have a hearty casserole that will feed a crowd! Some other recipes include:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips or Lily's Sugar Free if low carb
- 1/2 cup granular sugar or monkfruit if low carb
- 2 ounces unsweetened Bakers chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups milk or almond milk if low carb
- 4 shots espresso or 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
- Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker, set the temperature to low and cover.
- Allow the mixture to warm for about 1 hour, wisking every 20 minutes.
- Serve when the mixture is warmed through.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
For plain hot cocoa simply leave out the peppermint extract and the espresso.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 ounces (calculated with low carb ingredients)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 17.5gCholesterol: 17.1mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 16.9gNet Carbohydrates: 7.6gFiber: 9.6gProtein: 4.2g