This Cabbage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup is packed with black-eyed peas, onions, bell pepper, cabbage, and tomatoes. Made in the slow cooker, this easy and comforting soup recipe is perfect for New Years!
New Year’s is one of those classic holidays that focus on food and the future. Have you heard the saying that “whatever you do on New Year’s Eve is how you’ll be spending the next year?” If that is true — and hey, even if it isn’t — I cannot think of a better way to welcome a fresh year than by enjoying a wonderfully easy yet incredibly satisfying bowl of soup with a group of loved ones!
Speaking of lore: Have you made black-eyed peas part of your New Year’s tradition? According to superstition, these tender little peas — which are actually beans — are supposed to bring you good luck through the new year if eaten on New Year’s Eve. I’m not sure how much truth there is to this Southern tradition, but considering how tasty and easy black-eyed peas are to include in your holiday meal, I figure why not!?
Make a large batch of my easy cabbage and black-eyed pea soup in the slow cooker for this New Year’s Eve, and you’ll be ringing in 2020 enjoying the company of and compliments from your party guests!
This Cabbage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup is the best way to end a long day… and a long year!
It’s packed with black eyed peas, onions, bell pepper, cabbage, and tomatoes — and is gluten-free! It has a hint of spice to give it a little kick but is definitely still mild enough that kiddos will enjoy it, too. And, it happens to be absolutely perfect easy meal for feeding a crowd on New Years!
Cheers to a year of easy and delicious meals, gathering with family and friends, and enjoying all of life’s exciting flavors!
Ingredients for Black Eyed Pea Soup
This is essentially a cabbage soup with ground beef and black eyed peas tossed in. Yum! Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Lean ground beef
- Green bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Spices (chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder)
- Canned tomatoes with green chilies
- Frozen black-eyed peas
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Canned tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
- For serving: sliced green onions and shredded cheese
How to Make Black Eyed Pea Soup
Because this black eyed peas and cabbage soup lets the slow cooker do most of the work, you can spend New Year’s Eve actually relaxing and enjoying the day’s festivities.
- First, brown the lean ground beef in a large skillet (or large soup pot / dutch oven to make this soup entirely on the stovetop) over medium-high heat. Drain off any fat once done cooking.
- While the beef is cooking, chop the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; add to the hot skillet and continue cooking for a just a couple of minutes.
- Add the spices, and stir well.
- At this point you can either continue cooking the Cabbage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup in your dutch oven, or transfer the skillet ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, including the juices from the canned items, and stir well.
- On the stovetop, bring the soup to a boil and allow to simmer for at least one hour, up to 90 minutes. In the slow cooker, cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Can I Prep This Soup in Advance?
Yes! You can prepare Cabbage and Black-Eyed Pea Soup a few days before your gathering. Just reheat and serve with fresh toppings!
Can I Make This Vegetarian?
I’m sure you can! I’ve only made the recipe as written, but I bet you can simply omit the ground beef and still have a flavorful soup.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Technically, yes. You can freeze this easy cabbage soup recipe for up to 3 months. However, cabbage tends to change texture once frozen and thawed so I avoid freezing it when possible.
Tips for Making Black Eyed Pea Soup
- You’re welcome to use ground pork or ground turkey instead of ground beef, if desired.
- For a spicier soup, use spicier canned tomatoes with green chiles.
- This soup is delicious alongside Rosemary Garlic Rolls or Cheddar Garlic Biscuits.
Looking for More Easy Soup Recipes?
- Creamy Pesto Veggie and Orzo Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup (30 minutes + one pot)
- Easy Keto Chili (low carb + no bean chili)
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can of tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) package of frozen black eyed peas
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (32 ounces) carton chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- Heat a large pot to medium high. Brown ground beef and drain off any fat.
- Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add spices, stir well.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (do not drain any of the cans) and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a slight simmer, then reduce to medium low, cover, and let cook for at least one hour or up to 90 minutes.
Slow Cooker Version:
- Follow steps 1-3 add ingredients to a large slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 2.8gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 571mgCarbohydrates: 21.5gFiber: 6.6gSugar: 8.8gProtein: 18.3g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs.
Leave your email below for more healthy slow cooker recipes!