This delightful Chocolate Cherry Frozen yogurt is the perfect lightened up sweet treat! Low carb options are included!
Growing up we always had ice cream in the house. Always. I am the oldest of four kids and half of us would eat ice cream with chocolate syrup and the other half would eat their ice cream in the form of a float.
Can you guess which one I was? Yep, I was firmly in the chocolate syrup camp and if it was some crazy special occasion and we had a jar of that microwavable hot chocolate – look out! I would go nuts!
Now that I have my own home, ice cream is a rare occurrence. Not because my love for a good chocolatey sunday has changed, but because life is an ongoing battle between between me and my skinny jeans. 🙂
Fortunately, I have found some lighter, healthier ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. This skinny Chocolate Covered Cherry Sundae is a prime example! This might look like a decadent dessert but it is actually packed with Greek yogurt and fruit!
To make the frozen yogurt I use a few basic ingredients such as Greek yogurt, fruit and sweetener. Seriously! It is that easy! You can eat it right away and it will be that great soft serve consistancy, or you can freeze it so it gets firm and it it like regular ice cream. Either way is totally delicious! I actually prefer the soft serve texture, but I like to make a double batch and keep a small container in the freezer for those little evening snacks where I just need something a little sweet!
Then of course, there is the topping! I use dark chocolate chips and a smidge of coconut oil to make an at home version of the “magic shell” topping. The cherry frozen yogurt and the dark chocolate topping make this dessert taste super indulgent! But the best part it you don’t have to feel bad about it!
Cherry Frozen Yogurt
- 3 cups frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup sweetener of your choice* (see notes below)
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (use low carb if keto)
- 1/4 cup milk (heavy cream or almond milk if keto)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (Lily's sugar free if keto)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Combine the yogurt ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Place cherry mixture into a small container and freeze at least 2 hours.
- In a small micorwavable bowl combine the chocolate and the coconut oil and heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until mixture is totally melted and smooth.
- To make Sundaes scoop out frozen cherry yogurt and top with dark chocolate sauce.
You can use monkfruit or Swerve for a low carb option. You can use refined sugar or coconut sugar if not low carb.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe (calculated using low carb ingredients)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 11.1gSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 24gNet Carbohydrates: 18gFiber: 6gSugar: 13.3gProtein: 8.2g