These Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes require a few basic ingredients and no prep! Simply dump the ingredients for these cheesy potatoes in a slow cooker, mix and forget it! This is the best side dish recipe!
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes also known as Funeral Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food! Frozen potatoes are combined with cream of chicken, sour cream, butter, garlic and crispy bacon and everything is thrown in the Crock Pot. The result a dish of fluffy potatoes mixed with the best cheese sauce imaginable! If you’re looking for a majorly satisfying potato side dish, this is it.
One of the best things about these Cheesy Potatoes is how easy they are. You don’t even have to chop up any potatoes- or anything for that matter! Just add your frozen potatoes to the pot and top with the sauce ingredients.
This is a true dump-go-meal! This dish is very filling and satisfying- so while it’s the perfect side dish, you can also easily enjoy these potatoes for supper! This would be a fun accompaniment on a breakfast for dinner evening- your kids will be obsessed with this dish!
Ingredients for Cheesy Potatoes in Crock Pot
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Crock Pot Potatoes. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Frozen Diced Potatoes: you will need four cups of diced potatoes for this recipe. If you would rather use fresh potatoes I suggest Russet or Idaho potatoes.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: if you are gluten free, or prefer homemade cream of soup simply scroll down, I have a recipe for 3 ingredient homemade cream of soup that is ready in about 10 minutes.
- Sour Cream: this provides the ultra creamy texture and helps prevent the potatoes from drying out as they cook. You can use full fat, reduced fat or dairy free sour cream in this recipe.
- Butter: I use salted butter in this recipe.
- Spices: You will need garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Cheese: I use sharp cheddar cheese because it pairs perfectly with potatoes, but another variety such as colby jack will also work well.
- Bacon: Cooked, chopped bacon works best in this recipe. Skip the store bought bacon bits for the best flavor.
How do I make these Crock Pot Potatoes?
First, spray crock pot with cooking spray or add a liner. Next, you’re going to add the frozen potatoes to your slow cooker. Add your cream of chicken soup, sour cream, butter, all of the spices and half of the shredded cheese.
Cook on low for 6 hours, being sure to stir the potatoes once. You can also cook this on high for 3 hours, stirring once. Right before serving, stir in half of the bacon. After stirring everything together, top with the remaining cheese and bacon.
Add the lid back to the crock pot for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
What should I serve with this recipe?
I really think this would be a fun idea for “breakfast for dinner”- try with Steak and Eggs, Parmesan Eggs and Swiss Chard, or this Easy Frittata! If you’re serving this as a side dish, I recommend pairing with something easy and tasty, like Asparagus Stuffed Chicken, Crock Pot Ribs, or Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. For dessert, try Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies or Butter Pecan Blondies!
This is also the perfect holiday dish. Serve with your favorite Gluten Free Thanksgiving Recipes. You could also pair this with a Gluten Free Holiday Dessert or more delicious Gluten Free Sides!
How to Store and Reheat Potatoes
To store these potatoes, keep in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and keep in the fridge. These potatoes will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, place on a microwave safe plate and warm in 30 second increments in the microwave until hot enough for you.
You can also freeze this dish. Allow to cool completely and then freeze. When reheating, be sure to give everything a good stir. This dish can be frozen for up to three months.
Tips for the Best Cheesy Potatoes
- I recommend cooking your own bacon for this dish- the bagged bacon bits just don’t have the same amount of flavor!
- To make clean up even easier, use a crock pot liner! Using these, you’ll get your leftovers out of the crock pot and then just dispose of the liner.
- For some extra flavor, you could add some ranch seasoning into the slow cooker- I think that would really be delicious here!
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
To make a homemade or gluten free cream of soup, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. When the butter is completely melted stir in 2 tablespoons flour or gluten free flour.
Stir until the flour mixture makes a paste that begins to turn brown. This will take 2-3 minutes. Add 11 ounces of good quality chicken stock and stir until the mixture is thick. This will take 5-6 minutes.
Potato Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Broccoli and Ham Bake
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Cheddar Parmesan Potato Skins
More easy Crock Pot recipes
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes are the easiest, tastiest slow cooker meal! This recipe is hearty enough to be a main dish and requires no prep work!
- 32 ounces frozen diced potatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon EACH garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- Spray a 4-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Pour the frozen potatoes in the bottom, top with cream of soup, sour cream, butter, spices and half of the cheese.
- Cook on low 6 hours, stirring at least once. Or cook on high 3 hour, stirring at least once.
- Just before serving stir in half the bacon. Top the potatoes with the remaining cheese and bacon. Place the lid on the potatoes 5 minutes to melt the cheese
- Spray a crock pot with cooking spray or add a liner.
- Add your frozen potatoes to the pot and top with cream of chicken soup, sour cream, butter, spices and half of your cheese.
- Cook on low for 6 hours and stir once. You can also cook on high for 3 hours- just stir once during cooking.
- Stir in half of the bacon right before serving. Top the dish with the rest of the cheese and bacon. Put the lid on the slow cooker for 5 additional minutes to melt the cheese and serve.
To make a homemade or gluten free cream of soup melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. When the butter is completely melted stir in 2 tablespoons flour or gluten free flour. Stir until the flour mixture makes a paste that begins to turn brown. This will take 2-3 minutes. Add 11 ounces of good quality chicken stock and stir until the mixture is thick. This will take 5-6 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 17gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 22.7gFiber: 3gSugar: 1.8gProtein: 11g
Leave a Reply