Grilling season is kind of a big deal around here.
It means one thing, Mr. Maebell takes over the kitchen. Or I guess it is really the grill, but you know what I mean. Generally he doesn’t cook, like at all. Which isn’t actually his fault…I have muttered the words “please get out of my kitchen” a few more times than I would care to admit.
So, for the most part he just lets me do my thing. But that all changes when the sun comes out and he breaks out the grill. Dinner is his domain. And I am happy to hand it over.
I have been on such an orange kick lately (understatement of the year) and I really wanted to come up with a good citrus based marinade. I actually tried several different things, an Asian inspired marinade, a orange marinade paired with Mexican spices like cumin and cilantro, and a rather unfortunate orange-mustard-honey concoction that won’t be making an appearance on this blog.
This Asian inspired marinade was definitely my favorite. It has a hint of sweetness from the honey and orange juice, a little kick from the soy sauce and garlic, and the toasted sesame oil mellows it all out. I cut the chicken breast into thin strips and marinaded it for about 8 hours, then threaded it onto skewers and grilled them, then sprinkled some sesame seeds on top. This was perfect for an easy, healthy dinner, and it was totally different from your basic, run of the mill chicken dinners.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (LaChoy is gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (for sprinkling)
- skewers for cooking
- Combine the orange juice, soy sauce, oils, chili garlic sauce, honey, sriracha, and garlic in a small bowl and microwave 30 seconds at a time or until the honey has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large plastic bag and pour most of the marinade over the chicken **reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade for brushing when done** Refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- When ready to cook heat your grill to medium heat (about 350 degrees) soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes before cooking so they do not burn.
- Thread chicken on each skewer and grill 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Brush with remaining marinade and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.