This creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup recipe is absolutely packed with a rich, delicious flavor. With simple step-by-step instructions, you can create this soup full of lean chicken and delicious vegetables in only 30 minutes!
We all have a handful of soups that we really lean on during the fall and winter months. They are tried and true recipes we know are absolutely delicious. They make us feel so warm and cozy after those busy, cold days.
It is comforting when you’re cooking a recipe you’ve made dozens of times already and know will be delicious. That said, sometimes a little change is great and leads us to discover things we love even more! This Tuscan Chicken Soup is one of those recipes that deserves a chance in your soup rotation.
This is an Italian soup that has its own unique, rich flavor. It is packed with lean protein and vegetables. This is a recipe that provides 6 servings so we like to make it early in the week. You can serve it for a meal and still have plenty of leftovers for lunch or dinner later in the week. It also freezes well for up to 3 months!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Healthy. This recipe perfectly balances a lean protein with delicious, flavor-packed vegetables.
- 30-Minute Recipe. Despite being a rich, robust soup recipe, you can have this ready to serve in only 30 minutes.
- Meal Prep Recipe. This recipe may be ready in only 30 minutes, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make it ahead of time! This is a great meal prepping recipe that freezes well and provides 6 servings so you can even stretch it into multiple meals.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this chicken soup. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Sun dried tomato oil: A delicious, flavorful oil at this recipe’s heart. Don’t worry; you don’t have to buy anything special; this is the oil that the sun-dried tomatoes already come in. It is packed with flavor and adds amazing depth to this soup.
- Vegetables: yellow onion, fresh garlic cloves, and chopped kale.
- Canned Vegetables: marinated or plain artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Low-sodium chicken broth: A better quality broth truly makes for a tastier soup.
- Precooked shredded chicken: we often use rotisserie chicken, but any precooked shredded chicken will work. This is a great option if you prefer to use the slow cooker.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper
- Heavy cream: This provides the soup’s creamy texture and balances the tangy artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Shaved parmesan: use this to top your soup prior to serving.
How to Make Tuscan Chicken Soup
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a large pot or Dutch oven. I have documented the entire process below so you can easily make this dish at home. Follow these simple steps below to make this delicious soup recipe.
Saute the Vegetables
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic and saute for about 30 more seconds. You can chop or not chop the artichokes and tomatoes, it just depends on your personal preference.
Add the Chicken
Add the chicken broth, cooked chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir. Heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, and cook for 10-15 minutes. This will allow the soup to reduce slightly and really helps to intensify the flavors and give them a chance to meld.
Add the Heavy Cream and Kale
After the 10 minutes, pour in the heavy cream and chopped kale and stir until combined. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes or until the kale is wilted and bright green. Serve topped with parmesan cheese, or for a different flavor combination try a flavorful Asiago!
It is hard to go wrong when serving a salad or bread with this recipe. Below are some of our favorites to serve with Tuscan Chicken Soup!
- Low Carb Three Cheese Biscuits
- Cranberry Apple Kale Salad
- Keto Dinner Rolls
- Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating Instructions: To reheat unfrozen soup, microwave in 30-second increments until warm, or reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. To reheat frozen soup remove the soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then follow the directions above.
- Freezer Storage: Allow the soup to cool completely. Then transfer to a large freezer bag, or soup cube tray. You can store this soup in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Refrigerator Storage: Allow to completely cool. Then store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Save some money by stretching your chicken out over multiple meals. We like to use a rotisserie chicken or cook a larger amount of slow cooker chicken that we can then use for multiple meals.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, leave the chicken out completely and use a vegetable broth.
- Sub the kale with spinach if you don’t like kale or using it would require an extra trip to the grocery store.
Tuscan Chicken Soup FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described. Ensure your broth and canned ingredients do not have any gluten containing ingredients.
Yes! This recipe freezes well for up to 3 months. Followed the detailed instructions above.
Any precooked shredded chicken will work. We love to use rotisserie chicken. Click here for a slow cooker option.
Absolutely. Simply leave out the chicken and use a vegetable broth.
Other Soup Recipes
- Cabbage and Sausage Soup: A great way to warm up on a chilly night! This soup is rich, comforting and about 5 net carbs a bowl!
- Low Carb Vegetable Beef Soup: This healthy Vegetable Beef Soup is the ultimate comfort food! Enjoy a big, delicious bowl for less than 6 net carbs each!
- Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken Soup: This Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken Soup has all the flavor of a jalapeno popper but in a creamy, hearty soup! Enjoy a serving of this keto-friendly soup for about 6 net carbs!
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup: This easy chicken soup is loaded with vegetables, herbs, and noodles to make the perfect comfort food!
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup: A low-carb, keto-friendly soup recipe that’s loaded with bacon, ground beef, cheese, and spices. Just under 6 net carbs per serving!
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato oil (from the jar)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 oz sundried tomatoes, drained and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 3 cups precooked shredded chicken
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Shaved parmesan, for serving
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, and garlic and saute for about 30 more seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir. Heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, pour in the heavy cream and kale and stir until combined. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes or until the kale is wilted and bright green.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers freeze really well for up to 3 months. You can also store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- I used rotisserie chicken but you can use any precooked chicken you want! Leave it out completely and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup!
- Marinated artichoke hearts are optional, you can also use a 14 oz can of plain artichoke hearts instead.
- You can sub in spinach instead of kale.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 16gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 13gNet Carbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 1.4gProtein: 20g