This easy, all purpose Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken only requires a few ingredients and makes the best shredded chicken! Perfect for meal prep, casseroles, wraps and more!
I am a huge fan of slow cooker shredded chicken. I love how effortless it is and how much easier it can make life. There are a variety of ways to make slow cooker shredded chicken, but I want to share one of my favorite all purpose shredded chicken recipes.
This is my go to because it isn’t really strongly flavored with any one ingredient or spice group. This shredded chicken can be used for just about anything, it just has great flavor and is never ever dry! This is perfect for easy meal prep, casseroles, tacos, wraps and more!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
What I love about this shredded chicken breast recipe is that it only requires a few ingredients, most of which are kitchen staples that I always have on hand.
The ingredients you need are:
- Chicken Broth
- Spices: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
You’ll notice this recipe doesn’t have any really strong or overpowering ingredients. This is the perfect all purpose chicken because this chicken just has great flavor, perfect for a variety of uses!
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
This recipe is a true set it and forget it kind of dish. Simply add your boneless, skinless chicken breasts to a slow cooker with the broth, garlic, celery and spices. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred.
How to Shred Chicken
There are a few ways to shred chicken, but in my experience the easiest way to shred chicken is with two forks. Place a cooked chicken breast on a cutting board and pin down one end with a fork. Using the other fork, scrape the chicken lengthwise to shred it.
You can also shred chicken using a food processor, but I don’t like having to dirty another piece of equipment when meal prepping.
Can I Freeze Shredded Chicken?
Yes! Let it cool completely, then seal it in a freezer bag with its juices. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes! Simply double the ingredients list. The cook time should remain the same.
How Long Does Shredded Chicken Last?
Once cooked, this keto shredded chicken will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Tips for the Best Shredded Chicken
- I like to make this shredded chicken breast recipe on a weekend and then have ready to go shredded chicken for meals, wraps, salads or sandwiches during the week. It makes meal prep a breeze and meals on busy nights come together much more quickly with this shortcut.
- I kept this recipe super simple so that the chicken would be versatile enough to pair with any meal. However, you’re welcome to add extra spices if desired.
- You can likely make this slow cooker shredded chicken recipe using chicken thighs, but I almost always buy breasts.
What to Make With Shredded Chicken
The truth is, this all purpose slow cooker shredded chicken can be used in just about any kind of recipe! One of my favorite uses is this Easy Cheesy Chicken and Rice. This casserole is a family favorite and even your pickiest eaters will love it!
Some other recipes using shredded chicken include:
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
- Pesto Chicken Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Potato Skins
- Honey Chipotle Gouda Stuffed Peppers
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred.
See recipe post for other recipes using this Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 36g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs.
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!