Last week when I shared Pizza Puffs , I professed my love for all foods bite sized and dippable. I wasn’t kidding. I couldn’t get those little suckers out of my head! But in true food lover fashion, I had to make them, just make them different.
I used that recipe as inspiration to make something a bit spicier and a little heartier. I used a mixture of cornmeal and flour which gives it an awesome texture. Throw in some chopped jalapeño for a bit of crunch, salty country ham for a kick, and sharp cheddar cheese takes it over the top. Now what about that doesn’t sound like a winner?
I made these on Sunday so we had a quick breakfast option for the week. That worked out perfectly, a couple warm Puffs with a couple scrambled eggs and your day is off to an excellent start. They were also great paired with Chili, and as an added bonus you can dip them!
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used gluten free)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4-1 cup diced country ham (this was one 6 ounce package of biscuit slices for me)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dice country ham, place it in a small baking pan and put in your oven while it is preheating.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper. Give it a good stir until everything seems mixed well.
- Add cheddar, eggs, buttermilk, and the diced jalapeños
- Now, take the country ham out of your oven. Drain off any liquid, and add the ham to your batter. Mix well.
- Grab two greased muffin tins, put a heaping spoonful in each cup.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
- The batter will fill up one muffin tin if you want big muffins, if you want to keep them small, which is what I prefer, use two pans.
- Do spicy things scare you? They shouldn’t! But if they do you can sub the jalapeños for bell pepper or leave it out all together.
As always, I made this dish using gluten free ingredients. I use Glutino Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose flour or Gluten Free Bisquick in place of flour.