I am a sucker for snack food. There is just something about cute little bite size appetizers that is so much more appealing than a plate full of normal size food. This is why I jump at any opportunity to make appetizers for dinner, that is how these Pizza Puffs were created. I was craving pizza, but really didn’t want to put forth the amount of effort it requires to make a good pizza dough. Lazy girl, I know.
So I thought, why not throw together the components of pizza together in a muffin tin and see what we get. Originally, I made these as little mini muffins by filling a mini muffin tin and filling them 3/4 of the way full. That was good, we liked it, but it wasn’t great. Eventually I found that you get the perfect crisp crust and soft, fluffy inside by using a regular size muffin pan with only a spoonful of batter. Yes, a heaping spoonful, just barely cover the bottom of the pan. They puff up nicely, I promise.
Dunk these babies in some warm marinara sauce, and there you have it. You will score points with your family with no crazy ingredients, weird cooking methods, or a full load of dirty dishes, just a quick simple dinner idea.
Extra points because it’s dippable. Extra extra points because it is cute and bite sized.
- 3/4 cup Bisquick (I used gluten free Bisquick)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grab a medium size mixing bowl, combine first 6 ingredients until blended thoroughly
- Add in milk and beaten egg, mix well.
- Add mixture to a greased muffin tin, one heaping spoonful at a time
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Serve with warm marinara, enjoy!