Over the weekend I had some errands to run and everywhere I went were big displays of pencils, notebooks and back packs. It seemed crazy to me, wasn’t patio furniture just on display? Swim suits and pool toys? Time just seems to be passing so quickly.
In the spirit of cherishing what few Summer evenings are left I have a really easy weeknight dinner that is healthy and comes together super fast! These Mediterranean Grilled Shrimp Skewers are packed with shrimp, tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion and perfectly ripe California black olives tossed in a creamy basil marinade.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it has simple ingredients that I normally have on hand. I usually have shrimp in the freezer, some veggies on the counter, and a can of olives in the pantry. Actually, California Ripe Olives are one of the most versatile items in my pantry. They are my favorite for their unique flavor, texture and color, and they are easily part of a healthy diet.
The ease of ingredients makes it really easy to throw dinner together when I am short on time or feeling uninspired.
Here is how we make them!
First, make your marinade. The marinade combines a few staples to make a really fresh, flavor packed sauce that compliments the shrimp and veggies perfectly. Whisk lemon juice, course grain dijon mustard, olive oil, basil, garlic and a bit of salt and pepper together.
Then prepare your skewers. You can do this in any order, but I like to make mine a little heavier on the veggies than the shrimp. Place your skewers on a large cookie sheet and drizzle half of the marinade over the skewers. Then place them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
Next, you just toss the skewers on the grill! They cook quickly, about 3 minutes on each side, until the shrimp is nice and pink and the vegetables are lightly charred. Then drizzle the remaining marinade over the skewers.
You can serve these over rice, quinoa, or along with some fresh grilled corn on the cobb! It is the perfect Summer meal with fresh, delicious Mediterranean inspired ingredients!
- 1 pound peeled and devained shrimp with tails removed
- 1 cup small tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup black California olives
- 1/8 cup packed basil leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons course grain Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Assemble your skewers by threading shrimp, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and olives on your skewers in any order you prefer.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup whisk together the basil, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the marinade over the shrimp skewers and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- When ready to cook heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Cook the skewers 3-4 minutes on each side until the shrimp is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Brush the remaining marinade over the skewers.
- Serve immediately
If you love the flavors in this Mediterranean Shrimp Skewers you will love the easy, everyday recipes you will find here using California black olives!
Enter to win the California Ripe Olives Midsummer Mediterranean Giveaway for a chance to win a fabulous prize package to help enjoy tasty flavors this season!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.