These Chili Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats are super addictive! Fresh zucchini is stuffed with keto chili and topped with sharp cheddar cheese! Each stuffed zucchini boat contains less than 3 net carbs!
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Keto Chili is one of the most beloved recipes on this website. With over 700 five star reviews, this is a recipe that never disappoints! It has all of the flavor of traditional chili with just a fraction of the carbs. While chili is a staple in the cooler months, I wanted to find a way to enjoy it all year long. These delicious Chili Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats are the answer!
Fresh zucchini is stuffed with savory chili, topped with sharp cheddar cheese and baked until bubbly perfection! You can enjoy these stuffed zucchini boats on their own, or top with your favorite chili fixings like sour cream, green onion and jalapeños!
Ingredients in the Stuffed Zucchini Boats
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make these low-carb zucchini boats, you’ll need the following basic ingredients:
- Ground Beef: you can also use ground turkey, pork or chicken if you prefer.
- Canned tomatoes with green chilis (also called RoTel in the U.S) and Tomato Paste
- Spices: chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Fresh Zucchini: medium size zucchini are great for stuffing.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These healthy stuffed zucchini boats couldn’t be easier to make! Here’s an overview of the process:
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and and drain off any grease. Next, add the tomato paste, undrained can of tomatoes and spices. Stir well and let mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the center.
- Place the zucchini boats in a large baking dish and carefully spoon the chili mixture into the zucchini.
- Top with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is bubbly.
How Long to Cook Zucchini Boats
These chili cheese zucchini boats need to bake for about 20 minutes at 350F. The chili has already been cooked, so you’re just looking to bake the zucchini until fork tender.
Can I Prep The Stuffed Zucchini in Advance?
Actually, yes! Surprisingly these hold up pretty well as leftovers. Just be sure you cook your zucchini until it is just fork tender, not mushy, so the leftovers will not be overdone.
Tips for Making Zucchini Boats
- To hollow out the zucchini, I find it easiest to use a small measuring spoon.
- I used lean ground beef, but you’re welcome to use ground chicken or turkey instead.
- The zucchini that you scoop out can be used in stir fry recipes, soups or breakfast scrambles.
- Cooking times may vary slightly depending on how much zucchini you scoop out (if you leave a thick zucchini boat it will take longer to cook than a thin zucchini boat). Check to make sure the zucchini is fork tender before you remove from the oven.
How to make Zucchini Boats in the Air Fryer
These zucchini boats are perfect for the Air Fryer! To make these, first slice your zucchini and scrape out the insides to make the boat shape. Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees and place your zucchini inside and cook until it begins to blister. When cooked, fill with the chili mixture. Top with cheese and add back to the air fryer. Cook until the filling is warm and the cheese is melted.
More Healthy Zucchini Boat Recipes:
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Keto Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
- Crispy Zucchini Chips
- Keto Pizza Zucchini Boats
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and and drain off any grease.
- Add the undrained can of tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. Stir well and let mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the center. (I find this easiest with a metal teaspoon)
- Place zucchini boats in a baking dish and carefully spoon the chili mixture into the zucchini.
- Top with cheese and bake 20 minutes or until the zucchini is fork tender and the cheese is bubbly.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Cook the filling as directed above.
- Slice the zucchini length-wise. Then, use a small spoon to remove the center of the zucchini to form a groove, making the zucchini a "boat."
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees.
Place the hollowed-out zucchini in the air fryer and cook 3-5 minutes. This will vary based on the size, but cook until the zucchini begins to blister.
- Remove the blistered zucchini from the air fryer. Spoon this mixture into the zucchini boats and top with cheese.
- Place the zucchini boats back into the air fryer and cook for another 4 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: Nutrition calculated per zucchini boat
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 4.4gNet Carbohydrates: 2.7gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 1.8gProtein: 22g
To avoid any confusion I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it is not known to affect blood glucose levels. To calculate Keto recipes listed on this site carbs - fiber = net carbs. I use Nutrifox as my nutrition calculator. This nutrition information is an estimate based on the information provided by Nutrifox and the specific ingredients I used.