Broccoli Chicken Casserole is packed with shredded chicken, tender broccoli and a creamy cheddar cheese sauce! This low carb, kid friendly casserole has just 5.5 net carbs per serving!
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
This is one of my favorite kinds of meals because it has very basic ingredients I always have on hand. Also, because it requires cooked chicken and broccoli florets, it is a great way to use up leftover shredded chicken or store bought rotisserie chicken. This is an easy, cheesy casserole that even your pickiest eaters will love!
Ingredients for Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our keto chicken casserole. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Cooked Chicken: I use leftover shredded chicken, but a rotisserie chicken would be a great shortcut!
- Broccoli florets: fresh broccoli is best in this recipe because frozen broccoli does release a lot of liquid. If you only have frozen broccoli, see my tips below.
- Chicken broth: a good quality chicken stock is best for this recipe. Vegetable broth will also work.
- Cream cheese: full or reduced fat will work.
- Heavy cream: creates a perfect creamy sauce.
- Shredded Cheddar: you can use a different variety of cheese if you prefer.
Optional: I suggest using a xantham gum or cornstarch and water mixture to thicken the sauce. This is not required, but recommended. You can read more about this in the recipe card below.
How do I make Keto Chicken and Broccoli Casserole?
This is such an easy recipe, you really just need to follow three basic steps:
- Layer the chicken and broccoli in a prepared casserole dish, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, make the cheese sauce by combining the chicken broth, cream cheese, heavy cream and cheddar cheese. There is an additional optional, but recommended step to add a corn starch slurry to help thicken the sauce. This does add 1 net carb per serving, but it is worth it in my opinion.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and broccoli, top with the remaining cheddar and bake!
Can I use Frozen Broccoli?
Fresh broccoli will provide the best results in this recipe. Frozen broccoli does release a lot of moisture which can result in a soggy casserole. If you are in a pinch and need to use frozen broccoli, steam the broccoli for half the amount of time on the package and allow it to rest on paper towels while you make the cheese sauce.
Next, add the steamed broccoli to the casserole and reduce the cooking time to 15-20 minutes total cooking time. The casserole is done when the broccoli is tender and the cheese has melted.
Do I have to use corn starch?
No, you do not. A thickening agent is optional. Xanthan gum can be used for those on strict keto, if you prefer. The cornstarch is an optional ingredient, 1 tablespoon of corn starch adds a very minimal amount of carbs, if you want to leave this out you can, but it does thicken the sauce nicely. This dish serves 6 and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch has 6 net carbs, this only adds 1 net carb per serving.
Tips for the Best Chicken and Broccoli
- Be sure to evenly layer your chicken and broccoli base layer so you’re sure to have both with each bite!
- Don’t skip the cornstarch step! It will make your broth mixture very smooth and gives it the perfect texture.
- If you’re looking for a bit more bite to this meal, you can add buffalo chicken sauce for an easy Buffalo Chicken Casserole loaded with vegetables!
Can you make Chicken Broccoli Casserole ahead of time?
Absolutely! This keto chicken casserole is very easy to make ahead of time and serve later. You can make this casserole and cover with a lid or aluminum foil and place in the fridge. This casserole will stay fresh in the fridge for up to four days. To reheat, place in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes. You could also place this casserole in smaller portions in plastic containers and warm in the microwave, making it perfect for meal prep!
What to serve with Keto Chicken Casserole
These Keto Three Cheese Biscuits are the perfect complement to this dish! If you’re looking for more keto bread recipes, check out this list of the 30+ Best Keto Bread Recipes! I love this Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower– it is the perfect comfort food. These Keto Bacon Wrapped Green Beans are a regular side dish in our house and complete any table.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Easy Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
- Chicken Alfredo Zucchini Boats
- Pollo con Queso (keto + low carb)
- Keto Oven Fried Chicken
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- *1 tablespoon corn starch (OR 1 teaspoon xanthan gum) + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a lightly greased 7x11 baking dish spread the shredded chicken evenly across the bottom and place the broccoli on top. Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Heat a deep skillet to medium heat and add the chicken broth, and cubed cream cheese, stir until the cream cheese has dissolved. Add the heavy cream and 1 cup of the cheddar. Bring mixture to a slight simmer and allow it to cook 4-5 minutes until it has begun to thicken.
- OPTIONAL, but recommended: If you want to thicken the sauce even more (like a cream of soup consistency) you can combine 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon cold water OR 1 teaspoon xanthan gum + 1 tablespoon cold water and slowly pour it into the cheese sauce as you stir. The sauce will thicken almost immediately.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the cheese has begun to brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: A heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 24.1gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 6.7gNet Carbohydrates: 5.5gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 1.8gProtein: 33g