This Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup is loaded with spicy sausage, tender vegetables in a creamy, cheesy sauce! At less than 7 net carbs per serving this is a great low carb, keto-friendly soup!
This divine one-pot soup is loaded with cajun flavors, smoked sausage and fresh vegetables. As written, the recipe is mildly spicy but mellowed by the cheese, this versatile soup can be adapted to suit any palette.
This smoked sausage soup only contains 6.8 net carbs, making it the perfect treat for Keto-lovers. Great for meal preppers too, it freezes well and produces 8 servings so you can stretch it into multiple meals!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Inexpensive. This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients. Most of them you likely already have in the pantry. The rest are easy to find, inexpensive ingredients.
- Simple. Make this smoked sausage soup in just a couple simple steps. Even better, this is a one-pot meal so there is minimal clean up required.
- Enough for multiple meals. This recipe provides 8 servings so you can easily stretch this into multiple meals. A great way to save more precious time and make it even more budget-friendly!
Ingredients in Smoked Sausage Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe scroll to the recipe card below.
- Smoked sausage: we love the flavor of andouille sausage but any smoked sausage will work
- Vegetables: Garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery
- Beef broth: a higher quality broth really does improve the flavor. If you are following a gluten free diet, ensure you choose a broth labeled gluten free.
- Canned tomatoes with green chiles: Choose a hot or mild version depending on your personal preferences
- Cream cheese: Adds to the texture and flavor of the soup
- Cheddar cheese: we prefer cheddar for this flavor combination but you can choose another type of cheese if you prefer
How to make Sausage Vegetable Soup
Start off by browning your sliced smoked sausage over a medium heat in a stock pot or Dutch oven, before draining off any excess grease. Next, add the garlic, onion, peppers and celery and continue frying until the vegetables are nicely softened.
Next, tip in the undrained can of tomatoes along with the beef broth. Then stir well and allow the mixture to simmer to deliciousness for 25 minutes. During this time, keep your soup covered and on a low heat. Finally, stir in the cubed cream cheese and cheddar until melted for a luxuriously creamy finishing touch.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Freezer Instructions: If you plan on freezing your soup, you’re best off slightly undercooking the vegetables and leaving out the cheese, which can separate when frozen. Simply add this in to serve once your soup has been reheated. Also, if you know you will only be feeding yourself, be sure to freeze in individual portion sizes to avoid wastage and reduce heating time.
Refrigerator Instructions: You can store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Allow to cool prior to storage.
Reheating Instructions: If you froze your soup, it is best to defrost your soup in the refrigerator overnight. Then reheat gently in a pan when you’re ready to eat. Make sure you intermittently stir as it is reheating. This is also true if reheating on the stovetop after it was only stored in the refrigerator.
To reheat in the microwave, simply partially cover your portion of soup in a microwave-safe container and reheat for 90 seconds. Then stir and continue to reheat in 30-second increments until heated to your desired level.
Tips for Making Keto Sausage Soup
- For the heat-lovers out there, replace the classic smoked sausage with a spicy chorizo or andouille sausage. You could also choose a spicy version of canned tomatoes with green chiles.
- If you want to really emphasize the smoky flavor, swap out the regular cheddar for a smoked version! For a mild and stringy cheese texture, mozzarella could be a great addition, too.
Smoked Sausage Soup FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free when prepared as described. Ensure you choose a broth and smoked sausage that do not have any gluten containing ingredients.
Yes, you can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. See detailed instructions above if freezing this recipe.
Absolutely, chorizo, shredded chicken, or beef could all work well with this recipe.
More Low Carb Soup Recipes
- Cheesy Keto Taco Soup: Loaded with Mexican flavor and none of the carbs! At less than 6 net carbs per serving, this no bean, low-carb soup will be your new favorite!
- Keto White Chicken Chili: This Chicken Chili is loaded with shredded chicken, chilis, peppers and cauliflower rice! At about 7.5 net carbs per heaping serving this is the ultimate creamy keto comfort food!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup: Enjoy a bowl of this cheesy chicken soup for about 5 net carbs!
- Cabbage and Sausage Soup: The perfect way to warm up on a chilly night! This soup is rich, comforting and about 5 net carbs a bowl!
- Creamy Chicken Soup: A hearty, nutritious dinner that is ready in about 30 minutes!
- 1 (13.5 ounce) package Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 small onion (1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Brown the sliced smoked sausage over medium heat in a stock pot or dutch oven. Drain off any grease
- Add the garlic, onion, peppers, and celery until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the undrained can of tomatoes and broth, stir well and allow the mixture to simmer for 25 minutes, covered on low heat.
- Just before serving stir in the cubed cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: roughly 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 36.8gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 8.6gNet Carbohydrates: 6.8gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 20.7g