This Citrus Vanilla Coffee Cake is perfect for Spring brunch! Soft and fluffy orange coffee cake is packed with creamy Vanilla Almondmilk and a layer of crushed pineapple and vanilla bean!
Growing up every single Sunday I ate brownies for breakfast. My Mother made a 9×13 pan full of brownies with dark chocolate chips, half the pan with pecans, half the pan without. It was as predictable as the tide. If it was Sunday, my Mom was making brownies. It all started because I am the oldest of four kids and I grew up on a farm. According to my Mom the only way to get all the animals fed, kids bathed and dressed and to church on time was to ensure breakfast wouldn’t be a battle and it would be eaten quickly. Enter brownies.
I never questioned it, I thought everyone ate brownies for breakfast before church. I was actually in college before it registered that brownies were not a proper breakfast food. But really, how are brownies that different from cinnamon rolls, donuts, etc. I think they can all be grouped into the same category!
This Citrus Vanilla Coffee Cake can be grouped in that category, it is one of those wonderfully sweet and decadent breakfast cakes that is perfect with a cup of coffee! The sweet and fluffy cake layer is packed with mandarin oranges and unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk. I use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk to make it ultra rich and creamy. It makes this a great brunch dish for those that are dairy free! To make this something really special with pack a nice layer of crushed pineapple and vanilla bean in between the orange cake. It is the perfect mixture of all things citrus! Then to top it all off I add a creamy orange glaze with chopped almonds.
This is the perfect way to enjoy a nice Spring brunch, or you know just because!
35 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- For the Citrus Vanilla Coffee Cake
- 1 cup gluten free bisquick
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup stevia or sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) crushed pineapple, NOT drained
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- For the Orange Almond Topping
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped Honey Roasted Almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, oats, almond flour, sugar or stevia, baking powder and salt.
- Add the beaten eggs, Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk, and oil until well combined.
- Fold in the drained mandarin oranges.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. Pour half the orange cake mixture and evenly spread it along the bottom of the pan.
- In a second mixing bowl combine the undrained can of pineapple with the vanilla bean and the corn starch.
- Pour the pineapple mixture over the orange layer (it will be juicy and that is okay)
- Carefully spread the remaining orange cake over the pineapple layer and bake for 30-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the Orange Almond Topping mix the powdered sugar and orange juice together. Drizzle over the warm cake and top with the almonds.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Thank you for supporting brands that support Maebells!
Other Easy Recipes