Learn how to make Pimento Cheese that everyone will devour! This simple recipe is a staple for potlucks, parties, or quick lunches!
Pimento and Cheese is one of those classic food pairings like peanut butter and jelly, or mac and cheese. Growing up in the South, this dish was as common as sweet tea, biscuits, and gravy. That means I have consumed a lot of pimento and cheese in my life and today I’m sharing my favorite rendition. This version has a blend of different cheeses, mayonnaise, and a few other dishes that make it perfectly rich and savory.
What is Pimento Cheese?
Pimento cheese is a classic Southern spread that has been around for over a century. It became a staple in Southern households generations ago due to its affordability and tastefulness. It has been around long enough that there are numerous versions but the primary recipe includes cheddar cheese, pimentos, and mayonnaise. Now, it is commonly used across the country and is known for being both delicious and versatile. It is most often served as an appetizer, but in recent years it is also often served as sandwich filling, grits, or on burgers. Our personal favorite homemade pimento cheese recipe includes a blend of cheddar cheeses and Velveeta.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Versatile. Pimento cheese is an incredibly versatile spread that can be served with crackers, on burgers, or even as a pimento cheese sandwich.
- Quick and Easy. This recipe can be prepared in only 5 minutes!
- Minimal Ingredients. Only a handful of ingredients are needed and most are common household staples.
- Low carb and gluten free. This recipe is a great potluck as it will also work well for any of your low-carb or gluten free guests.
Ingredients for Pimento and Cheese
Here’s everything you need to make this delicious homemade pimento cheese recipe. Head to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded: Pre-shredded cheese will work in a pinch but freshly shredded cheese blends and tastes better
- Sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded: Pre-shredded cheese will work in a pinch but freshly shredded cheese blends and tastes better
- Velveeta, shredded
- Mayonnaise: Helps the create the delicious flavor and texture pimento cheese is known for. Duke’s mayonnaise is the golden standard in the South.
- Diced pimentos, drained and patted dry
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste
How to Make the BEST Pimento and Cheese
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a cheese grater, mixing bowl and spatula to make this recipe. Below you will find a step-by-step guide to show you how to make this simple, amazing homemade Southern pimento cheese recipe.
Combine the Cheeses
In a large mixing bowl combine the shredded white cheddar, yellow cheddar, and Velveeta. Velvetta can be a little tricky to shred because it is a soft cheese. If you are having trouble just pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes and it will be much easier to shred.
Fold in the Mayonnaise and Pimentos
Next, fold in the mayonnaise and the pimentos, remember to pat these dry. If you add the pimentos to the mix and they contain a lot of moisture your pimento and cheese will have a soggy texture, which you definitely don’t want! Once the mixture is well incorporated add the garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Pimento and Cheese must be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can safely store this dish up to 10 days. I do not recommend freezing because the cheese and mayonnaise will not have the same taste or texture upon thawing.
Tips for the Best Pimento Cheese
- When shredding a soft cheese such as Velveeta it can be difficult. Freeze the cheese for 10 minutes to make this easier.
- Make your own version based on your personal preferences. Add in bacon, tomato, fried egg, cream cheese, jalapeños, or anything else you prefer.
- Utilize this recipe’s versatility. Even if you’re making this for a specific occasion, make sure you save any leftovers to use the rest for sandwiches, burger toppings, etc.
- Drain your peppers well and pat dry.
How to Make a Pimento Cheese Sandwich
It’s tough to have a more simple sandwich than a Pimento Cheese sandwich. Grab two slices of your favorite bread such as white, whole wheat, or gluten free. Then spread the pimento cheese on one slice before combining the slices of bread. To make it even better, toast the bread and add some additional toppings such as bacon, lettuce, and/or tomato.
Pimento Cheese FAQ
Yes, the recipe is gluten free. Make sure you also have some gluten free bread or crackers on hand if you’re preparing for gluten free guests.
No, pimentos are a very mild pepper.
Yes, but freshly shredded cheese is highly recommended. Pre-shredded cheese has a coating added to decrease clumping. This coating limits the cheese’s ability to cream together. Freshly shredded cheese also has more flavor.
Yes, but I don’t know why you would. 🙂
No, this must be stored in the fridge.
What to Serve With Pimento Cheese
- Bacon Cheeseburger Bites– Perfect for a kid-friendly keto meal. Gluten-free, nut free, and easy to meal prep.
- Cheeseburger Quesadilla– All the flavor of a loaded burger with minimal effort! If using a low carb tortilla each Cheeseburger Quesadilla can be made keto-friendly.
- Chicken Bacon Wrap-A great easy lunch! Ready in just minutes and packed with protein, this easy keto recipe will keep you going all day long!
- Bacon Cheeseburger-This low carb burger recipe can be made on the grill, in a skillet or in an air fryer!
One of the best attributes of pimento and cheese is its versatility! It is a great party or potluck recipe that you can serve as a dip with crackers or vegetables. Pimento cheese sandwiches are also delicious and provide a great opportunity to add some personal flare to the recipe. We think it is great to add some bacon and tomatoes when making a pimento cheese sandwich. In recent years, pimento cheese has become a popular topping for burgers or even served with grits. We also have a great Pimento Cheese Stuffed Sweet Pepper recipe.
This homemade pimento and cheese recipe is also low carb and keto-friendly. You can serve it with keto chips or bread to ensure it will work well for your low-carb or keto guests!
Other Appetizer Recipes
- Chorizo Queso Skillet
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Turkey Pinwheels
- Pesto Chicken Sliders
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Velveeta, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl combine the shredded white cheddar, yellow cheddar, and Velveeta.
- Fold in the mayonnaise and the pimentos (remember to pat dry).
- Once the mixture is well incorporated add the garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
If the Velveeta is hard to shred pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes before shredding.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 26gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 3.7gNet Carbohydrates: 3.6gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 2.3gProtein: 11g