This Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole is packed with lean ground turkey, loads and vegetables and a creamy homemade cheddar sauce! A perfect dinner for even your pickiest eaters!
Sometimes you just need comfort food! That is exactly how I felt a couple weeks ago. Just good old comfort food! My traditional go to is Cheesy Chicken and Rice but we needed something a little different, a little heartier. So I decided to go a different route. I made this Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole and it was such a hit!
Traditional Tater Tot Casserole is packed with ground beef, loads of cheese and a couple cans of cream of soup. It has been years and years since I have had the traditional version but I did remember the general mix of flavors. This version uses lean ground turkey, a ton of mixed vegetables, a homemade cream of soup with no fillers and sharp cheddar cheese. It is a simple, wholesome meal that even your pickiest eaters will love!
Here is how we make it! We start by choosing lean ground turkey in place of ground beef. In a large cast iron skillet brown the turkey and throw in one small chopped onion, minced garlic and a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Then we add an entire bag of mixed vegetables. You can use any variety you like but I used a bag with corn, peas, green beans and carrots. This hearty mixture is the base for your casserole.
In place of a canned cream of soup we use just a few basic staples to make our own. Melt a little butter in your skillet, add the gf flour and stir well so that your flour forms almost a “paste” add the milk while stirring until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and add half the cheese and sour cream. Then you just add this back to your meat and vegetable mixture, top with some shredded cheese and tater tots. Just bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Bisquick
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3+ cups tater tots
- Preheat oven 400 to degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat brown the turkey and add the chopped onion, minced garlic and a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper.
- Add a bag of mixed vegetable and stir well.
- Remove the mixture from the pan to a mixing bowl and return the skillet to the stove.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt, add the gluten free flour and stir well and allow it to brown lightly. Pour in the milk while stirring until the mixture begins to thicken.
- When it has thickened well remove from heat and add half the cheese and the sour cream.
- Pour the cream of soup mixture in the mixing bowl with the meat and vegetable mixture, stir well.
- Add the mixture back to the cast iron skillet and top with the remaining cheese and tater tots.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Easy Comfort Food Recipes