This Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole is packed with lean ground turkey, loads of vegetables and a creamy homemade cheddar sauce! A perfect gluten free dinner for even your pickiest eaters!
Sometimes you just need comfort food! That is exactly how I felt a couple weeks ago. Just good old comfort food!
My traditional go to is Cheesy Chicken and Rice but we needed something a little different, a little heartier. So I decided to go a different route. This route led me right to one of my favorite things- a hearty, filling Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole that’s Gluten Free!
I made this Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole and it was such a hit! Traditional Tater Tot Casserole is packed with ground beef, loads of cheese and a couple cans of cream of soup. It has been years and years since I have had the traditional version, but I did remember the general mix of flavors.
This Tater Tot Casserole with sour cream version uses lean ground turkey, a ton of mixed vegetables, a homemade cream of soup with no fillers, sharp cheddar cheese and gluten free tater tots. It is a simple, wholesome, meal that even your pickiest eaters will love! The best part- it’s gluten free!
Are Tater Tots Gluten Free?
Y’all, what a potato blessing we’ve been given in this gluten free household. Ore-Ida Tater Tots are gluten free!
Thank Heavens, because I love a good casserole, hold the gluten. You can’t make a Gluten Free Tater Tot Casserole without these fabulous tots!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Tater Tot Casserole
As always, here is an overview of the ingredients used for this tater tot casserole with sour cream. For the complete recipe, just keep scrolling.
- Ground turkey- you can also use ground chicken or beef.
- Onion- diced
- Minced garlic
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Frozen mixed veggies- use any combination that you prefer here.
- Gluten free Bisquick- if you aren’t gluten free, regular Bisquick will work fine.
- Milk- I used fat free.
- Shredded cheddar- I used reduced fat.
- Sour cream- I also used a reduced fat sour cream here.
- Gluten free tater tots- Ore-Ida brand is gluten free.
By adding in sour cream to this casserole, you make it deliciously creamy without weighing it down. This Tater Tot Casserole with sour cream is a game changer!
How to prepare Tater Tot Casserole with Sour Cream
Here is how we make it! First, we start by choosing lean ground turkey in place of ground beef. This cuts down loads of calories!
Use a large cast iron skillet to brown the turkey and throw in one small chopped onion, minced garlic and a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Next, we add an entire bag of mixed vegetables. You can use any variety you like but I used a bag with corn, peas, green beans and carrots. This hearty mixture is the base for your casserole.
Then, remove your veggie mix and put into a bowl. Place your skillet back on the heat. In place of a canned cream of soup, we use just a few basic staples to make our own.
Melt a little butter in your skillet, add the gluten free flour and stir well so that your flour forms almost a “paste”. Following this, add the milk to the skillet, while stirring, until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and add half the cheese and sour cream.
Then you just add this back to your meat and vegetable mixture in the bowl and combine. Place back in the skillet and top with some shredded cheese and tater tots. Just bake for 30 minutes and enjoy! Your whole family will love this Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole!
Storage and Reheating of Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole
If you aren’t well versed in the way of cast iron skillets, the biggest rule is not to keep them soaking in the sink! To keep my skillets looking fresh, I usually take my dishes out of them fairly quickly so I can clean and reseason the skillet quickly.
After you have enjoyed your Gluten Free Tater Tot Casserole, take your leftovers out of the skillet and store in an airtight plastic or glass container in the fridge. This Tater Tot Casserole with sour cream will stay fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To reheat, you can either reheat in the oven, stovetop or in the microwave. It totally depends on if you want the crunch in the tater tots! If you’re into a little crunch, you can warm this casserole in the oven warmed to 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I would recommend warming in your cast iron.
For the stovetop method, I would also use the cast iron. Warm your cast iron on the stovetop until you can feel the heat coming off of the skillet. Add your Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole to the skillet and warm to your desired temperature.
If you’re using the microwave, place on a microwave safe plate and warm in 30 second increments until your desired temperature has been reached. Let cool for a minute or two before enjoying.
Easy Comfort Food Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- One Pan Pork Chops and Rice
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole (Gluten Free)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Bisquick
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3 + cups tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat and brown the turkey. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic and a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper.
- Add a bag of mixed vegetable and stir well.
- Remove the mixture from the pan to a mixing bowl and return the skillet to the stove.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the gluten free flour and stir well and allow it to brown lightly. Pour in the milk while stirring until the mixture begins to thicken.
- When it has thickened well, remove from heat and add half the cheese and the sour cream.
- Pour the cream of soup mixture in the mixing bowl with the meat and vegetable mixture, stir well.
- Add the mixture back to the cast iron skillet and top with the remaining cheese and tater tots.
- Bake for 30 minutes.