Perfectly creamy, tangy grits are packed with Gouda cheese, topped with plump shrimp and covered with crispy Brussels Sprouts. This is a game changer!
I know I am a broken record at this point. But, I am going to say it again.
Even if I buy shrimp with something else in mind I usually end up making shrimp and grits instead. It is just so darn good!
So a few Friday nights ago Mr. Maebell was working late. I put on some yoga pants, poured some wine, and pulled out all the ingredients in my fridge I knew I wanted shrimp and grits, and I knew I wanted a fun and unique spin on it. What I finally settled on was super creamy, tangy Gouda grits topped with perfectly plump shrimp and super crispy shredded Brussels sprouts. Oh, and don’t forget the chopped bacon and green onions. You definitely can’t have grits without bacon.
Hands down, this is my favorite.
Maybe it is the crispy sprouts that I love? Or maybe it’s the Gouda? Or maybe it is the combination of so many good ingredients packed into one dish that makes this so irresistible. Whatever it is, I am obsessed.
You definitely need to add this to your weekend plans, you won’t regret it!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 pound peeled and devained shrimp
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts, very thinly sliced (about 6-8 sprouts)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow corn grits
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 slices bacon,
- In a large skillet cook two slices of bacon over medium heat until crisp, remove bacon from skillet, roughly chop.
- Wipe skillet clean, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add the shredded sprouts to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 3 minutes until they sprouts are lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium to large sauce pan bring chicken broth to a boil, add grits and reduce heat to low. Cover and let grits simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When grits have absorbed the liquid add cream cheese, cheeses and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture well, cover and remove from heat.
- Place shrimp in a large plastic bag or mixing bowl, add garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, and garlic salt. Toss until well coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink and tender.
- To assemble the shrimp and grits add a heaping serving of grits to two shallow bowls. Top with shrimp, chopped green onions, chopped bacon and additional pepper.