This Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is loaded with two kinds of cheese, tender asparagus and is rubbed with an Italian herb mix. This one pan, low carb recipe has about 2 net carbs per serving and is ready in only 30 minutes.
Hands down, this has been one of our family’s favorite meals! We have had this dish once a week for the past month, it is that good! This dish gives you true restaurant-quality vibes. This isn’t your run-of-the-meal stuffed chicken recipe. The combination of gruyere cheese, garlic, asparagus, and herbs elevates this dish into something really special.
While some of my favorite stuffed chicken recipes feature butterflied chicken stuffed, seasoned then baked, this recipe is slightly different. To really seal in the flavors from the savory herb rub, we pan-sear the chicken first, then bake it. This extra step is well worth the effort and provides a unique twist compared to most other stuffed chicken recipes!
To many, a stuffed chicken recipe may sound more like a recipe for a party or special event. However, this asparagus stuffed chicken recipe will surprise you with how quickly and easily it can be prepared! It only requires 4 simple steps and is ready in only 30 minutes! It is a great choice whether for a weeknight or dinner party!
P.S. – If you’re not a huge fan of asparagus, try this Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken instead! Deliciously juicy and tender!
What You Will Love about this Recipe
- Quick and Easy. Despite a rich, juicy flavor you can prepare this recipe in only 4 basic steps and takes only 30 minutes.
- Unique, delicious flavor. This stuff chicken has a unique, rich flavor that will make you want to cook it every week!
- Low carb. Only 2.2 net carbs per serving. You do not have to make any subs to make this recipe diabetic and keto-friendly!
Ingredients for Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
As always, you will find the printable recipe and instructions in the recipe card below. However, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this easy Stuffed Chicken recipe:
- Chicken Breast: medium size breast work best, look for a breast that is in the 3-4 ounce range. If you use a really large, thick chicken breast (6+ ounces) it will take so long for the breast to cook through it will be dry and tough.
- Gruyere cheese: helps create that unique flavor that differentiates this recipe from other stuffed chicken recipes. If you cannot find gruyere you can substitute Swiss or Havarti for a similar flavor.
- Cream cheese: helps create the perfect texture and makes this chicken ultra delicious.
- Mayonnaise: this really adds to that amazing creaminess within the stuffed chicken
- Garlic: minced garlic is used to add depth and flavor.
- Fresh Asparagus: Remove the tough ends first and look for spears that are medium in width. Really thin asparagus spears will cook quickly and be quite mushy by the end of the cooking time.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper are used to make the herb rub for the chicken.
- Butter: in a pinch you can use olive oil or avocado to pan sear the chicken.
How do you Cook Stuffed Chicken?
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will also need a skillet, cutting board, and knife. This recipe is incredibly simple. You will only need to follow four basic steps!
Stuff the Chicken
First, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese and minced garlic, set aside. Prepare the asparagus by removing the tough ends. Next, butterfly the chicken so it opens like a book. Spread the cheese mixture on the bottom part of the chicken, top with the asparagus spears, fold the top of the chicken over the filling and secure with a toothpick.
Season and Cook
Combine the spices to make a delicious, savory rub. Season the outside of the chicken breast completely. This step is important because you want each bite of the dish to be well seasoned and full of flavor! Next, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken in the pan 2-3 minutes on each side. You aren’t trying to cook the chicken all the way through, rather browning the chicken to add flavor to the dish. Once the chicken is golden brown place it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degree F, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating: To reheat, cover the chicken breasts and place them in a 350ºF oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through. The microwave will also work. You can reheat in 30-second increments until heated to your desired level.
- Refrigerator Storage: You can refrigerator this recipe in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Allow to completely cool prior to placing in airtight container.
- Freezer Storage: This is a dish that is best served fresh. However, if you wish to freeze, this stuffed chicken can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Ensure you allow to cool completely prior to placing in airtight container and storing in freezer.
Tips for the Best Stuffed Chicken
- Use medium size chicken breast. Very large chicken breast, or those uneven in size will take much longer to cook.
- Do not use really thin asparagus. Look for asparagus that it thicker and will take longer to cook through.
- When you butterfly the chicken be mindful to cut it equally so it cooks evenly.
- When adding the filling to the chicken don’t put it too close to the edge of the chicken so it doesn’t spill out as it cooks.
- Use an oven safe pan for searing so this is a one pan recipe.
What should I serve with Keto Stuffed Chicken?
This is the perfect dish to serve with a nice side salad. If you want to serve a salad that is a little more unique than your basic garden salad this Greek Cucumber Salad is refreshing and low carb. Some other ideas include:
- Crispy Zucchini Fries: Crispy, crunchy and very satisfying.
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole: tastes like a traditional Baked Potato Casserole.
- Cheddar Garlic Keto Biscuits: A perfect low carb Red Lobster Biscuit copycat! Only 2 net carbs each and loaded with flavor!
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
Other Low Carb Chicken Recipes
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Low Carb Pesto Chicken Bake
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Chicken
- 4 chicken breast, small to medium size
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese and minced garlic, set aside. Prepare the asparagus by removing the tough ends.
- Butterfly the chicken so it opens like a book. Spread the cheese mixture on the bottom part of the chicken, top with the asparagus spears, fold the top of the chicken over the filling and secure with a toothpick. (see pictures for example)
- Combine the spices together to make a rub. Rub the outside of the chicken with the Italian seasoning mixture.
- Heat an oven safe skillet to medium heat and melt the butter in the skillet. Sear the chicken in the pan 2-3 minutes on each side and place in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degree F, or until cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Gruyere has amazing flavor, but you can sub this for a good parmesan or asiago if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Chicken Breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 22.5gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 700mgCarbohydrates: 2.6gNet Carbohydrates: 2.2gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 33g