This Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is loaded with two kinds of cheese, tender asparagus and is rubbed with an Italian herb mix. This one pan, low carb recipe has about 2 net carbs per serving and is ready in 30 minutes.
Hands down, this has been one of our families favorite meals! We have had this dish once a week the past month, it is that good! This dish gives you true restaurant quality vibes. This isn’t your run of the meal stuffed chicken recipe. The combination of gruyere cheese, garlic, asparagus and herbs elevates this dish into something really special.
While some of my favorite stuffed chicken recipes feature butterflied chicken stuffed, seasoned then baked, this recipe is slightly different. To really seal in the flavors from the savory herb rub we pan sear the chicken first, then bake it. This extra step is well worth the effort!
P.S. – If you’re not a huge fan of asparagus, try this Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken instead! Deliciously juicy and tender!
Ingredients for Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
As always, you will find the printable recipe and instructions in the recipe card below. However, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this Keto Stuffed Chicken recipe:
- Chicken breast: medium size breast work best
- Gruyere cheese
- Cream cheese
- Garlic: minced garlic
- Asparagus: tough ends removed
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper
How do you Cook Stuffed Chicken?
This recipe is incredibly simple. You only need to follow four basic steps.
- First, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese and minced garlic, set aside. Prepare the asparagus by removing the tough ends.
- Butterfly the chicken so it opens like a book. Spread the cheese mixture on the bottom part of the chicken, top with the asparagus spears, fold the top of the chicken over the filling and secure with a toothpick.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with the Italian seasoning mixture.
- Sear the chicken in the pan 2-3 minutes on each side and place in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degree F, or until cooked through.
Tips for the Best Stuffed Chicken
- Use medium size chicken breast. Very large chicken breast, or those uneven in size will take much longer to cook.
- When you butterfly the chicken be mindful to cut it equally so it cooks evenly.
- When adding the filling to the chicken don’t put it too close to the edge of the chicken so it doesn’t spill out as it cooks.
- Use an oven safe pan for searing so this is a one pan recipe.
What should I serve with Keto Stuffed Chicken?
This is the perfect dish to serve with a nice side salad. If you want to serve a salad that is a little more unique than your basic garden salad this Greek Cucumber Salad is refreshing and low carb. Some other ideas include:
- Crispy Zucchini Fries: Crispy, crunchy and very satisfying.
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole: tastes like a traditional Baked Potato Casserole.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
Other Low Carb Chicken Recipes
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Low Carb Pesto Chicken Bake
- 4 chicken breast, small to medium size
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese and minced garlic, set aside. Prepare the asparagus by removing the tough ends.
- Butterfly the chicken so it opens like a book. Spread the cheese mixture on the bottom part of the chicken, top with the asparagus spears, fold the top of the chicken over the filling and secure with a toothpick. (see pictures for example)
- Combine the spices together to make a rub. Rub the outside of the chicken with the Italian seasoning mixture.
- Heat an oven safe skillet to medium heat and melt the butter in the skillet. Sear the chicken in the pan 2-3 minutes on each side and place in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degree F, or until cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Gruyere has amazing flavor, but you can sub this for a good parmesan or asiago if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Chicken Breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 22.5gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 700mgCarbohydrates: 2.6gNet Carbohydrates: 2.2gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 33g