If you need a cheesy low-carb side dish, this Loaded Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole is packed with everything you love in a baked potato! At under 8 net carbs, this is the perfect holiday keto side dish!
Okay guys, I’m not going to start this post off by lying to you and telling you that this Loaded Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole tastes just like potatoes. It doesn’t. It is cauliflower, and potatoes are the holy grail of carbs so anyone who tells you cauliflower is a perfect substitute for them is pulling your leg.
However, I can tell you that this keto cauliflower bacon casserole is ultra cheesy and packed with everything you loved about a good loaded baked potato, except of course the potato!
This Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is a pretty good low-carb, keto replacement for some traditional dishes you might be missing for the holiday season. I know it can be really hard to stick to your keto lifestyle during the holidays where cakes and cookies abound. So, over the next few weeks I am going to share some low carb recipes that hopefully make this holiday season easier. If you have specific ideas shoot me a message on Instagram, I am always happy to hear from you!
Ingredients for Cauliflower Casserole
This is one of my favorite low carb casserole recipes! Here’s what you’ll need to make this loaded cauliflower casserole:
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Green onion
- Cooked bacon
How to Make Keto Cauliflower Casserole
Cook the cauliflower: This recipe starts by steaming or boiling a head of cauliflower. If you are buying cauliflower florets this is about 6 cups. Personally, I boil mine in 2 cups of chicken broth until they are fork tender. I think this adds a richness that this recipe would otherwise lack. However, you can use water in a pinch.
Mash the cauliflower: Once the cauliflower is tender, drain the liquid and transfer to a mixing bowl. Then it’s time to add all the good stuff, cream cheese, butter, cheese, garlic, and spices. Mash or blend (using an immersion blender) until it reaches the consistency you like.
Bake the casserole: Once the cauliflower reaches consistency you like, transfer it to a baking dish (I use my 12-inch cast iron skillet), then top with shredded cheddar and parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until gold and bubbly.
Add the toppings: Top with cooked chopped bacon, green onions, sour cream and freshly cracked pepper!
Can I Use Frozen Cauliflower?
Since you have to boil or steam the cauliflower anyways, you’re likely fine to use frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. You’ll need roughly 6 cups florets in total.
How Many Net Carbs in This Casserole?
One serving comes to less than 8 net carbs. For my keto friends, this is a little high for a traditional keto side dish. However, paired with a roast turkey or low-carb baked ham, you have a very delicious holiday meal for about 10 net carbs.
Tips for Making Keto Cauliflower Casserole
- It is completely fine to just mash the cauliflower a bit and leave some chunks if that is how you like it. My personal preference is to use my blender and create a smoother, creamier texture. If you aren’t a huge cauliflower fan like me, try blending it.
- You’re fine to use reduced fat cream cheese in this casserole, if desired.
- I recommend reheating leftovers in the oven (if you have a lot left) or in the microwave (for single servings).
More Keto Side Dish Recipes:
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce
- Rosemary Garlic Keto Dinner Rolls
- Keto Sausage Stuffing
- Low-Carb Green Beans Almondine
- Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- 1 head of cauliflower (6 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size sauce pan, add the cauliflower florets and chicken broth. Boil 6-10 minutes until fork tender
- Drain liquid and transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and spices.
- Mash or blend (using an immersion blender) until it reaches your desired consistany.
- Lightly spray a 12-inch baking dish or cast iron skillet with non-stick spray. Trasfer the casserole to the dish and top with the remaining cheddar and parmesan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until gold and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Top with chopped green onions, bacon and sour cream.