If you need a cheesy low carb side this Loaded Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole is packed with everything you love in a baked potato! At under 8 net carbs this is the perfect holiday keto side dish!
Okay guys, I’m not going to start this post off by lying to you and telling you that this Loaded Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole tastes just like potatoes. It doesn’t. It is cauliflower and potatoes are the holy grail of carbs so anyone who tells you cauliflower is a perfect substitute for them is pulling your leg. However, I can tell you that this casserole is ultra cheesy and packed with everything you loved about a good loaded baked potato, except of course the potato!
This Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is a pretty good low carb, keto replacement for some traditional dishes you might be missing for the holiday season. I know it can be really hard to stick to your keto lifestyle during the holidays where cakes and cookies abound. So, over the next few weeks I am going to share some low carb recipes that hopefully make this holiday season easier. If you have specific ideas shoot me a message on Instagram, I am always happy to hear from you!
How do you make Loaded Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Casserole?
This recipe starts by steaming or boiling a head of cauliflower. If you are buying cauliflower florets this is about 6 cups. Personally, I boil mine in 2 cups of chicken broth until they are fork tender. I think this adds a richness that this recipe would otherwise lack. However, you can use water in a pinch.
Once the cauliflower is tender, drain the liquid and transfer to a mixing bowl. Then it’s time to add all the good stuff, cream cheese, butter, cheese, garlic, and spices. Mash or blend (using an immersion blender) until it reaches the consistency you like. It is completely fine to just mash them a bit and leave some chunks if that is how you like it. My personal preference is to use my blender and create a smoother, creamier texture. If you aren’t a huge cauliflower fan like me, try blending it.
Once the cauliflower reaches consistency you like transfer it to a baking dish (I use my 12 inch cast iron skillet) top with shredded cheddar and parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until gold and bubbly. Then top with cooked chopped bacon, green onions, sour cream and freshly cracked pepper!
How many net carbs are in Loaded Cauliflower Casserole?
One serving comes to less than 8 net carbs. For my keto friends this is a little high for a traditional keto side dish. However, paired with a roast turkey or low carb baked ham and something like this Garlic Butter Broccoli you have a very delicious holiday meal for about 10 net carbs.
- 1 head of cauliflower (6 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Top with:
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size sauce pan add the cauliflower florets and chicken broth. Boil 6-10 minutes until fork tender
- Drain liquid and transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and spices.
- Mash or blend (using an immersion blender) until it reaches your desired consistany *See tips above.
- Lightly spray a 12 inch baking dish or cast iron skillet Trasfer the casserole to the dish and top with the remaining cheddar and parmesan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until gold and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Top with chopped green onions, bacon and sour cream.
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!