This Caprese Galette with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction is a simple, yet impressive dish everyone will love!
Galette? Huh? Don’t you let that fancy name scare you away! You won’t believe how simple this recipe is. This recipe caused me to frantically rearrange my whole blogging schedule for the week. It is so darn good, I had to tell you about it right away!
I bought some big, beautiful tomatoes and a giant bunch of basil from the farmers market this weekend. So for an easy, light lunch yesterday I decided to do something Caprese inspired. I had been kicking the idea of a galette around for a few weeks but hadn’t got around to make it yet. I knew this would be the perfect opportunity.
This is, hands down, my favorite way that I have had tomatoes all summer. I could seriously eat the whole thing. This is so easy to throw together. A simple pie crust is rolled out, topped with thick slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato.
Fold your edges over and bake for 20 minutes. Top with an easy Balsamic Vinegar reduction and chopped basil. That is it!
Ingredients for a Tomato Galette
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used to make our Caprese Galette. For the complete recipe, just keep scrolling.
- Pie crust: store bought or a a keto option like this.
- Low moisture fresh mozzarella
- Fresh tomatoes- sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar
- Freshly chopped basil
How to make a Caprese Galette
To start, heat your oven to 400 degrees. Next, either spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line your sheet with baking paper. Roll your pie crust out as best you can- it doesn’t have to be perfect!
Add your mozzarella and tomatoes to your Galette dough. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Fold over the edges of the dough and bake for 20 minutes.
Next, your Balsamic Vinegar Reduction! Start by heating a skillet to medium high heat. Add Balsamic Vinegar and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to a medium low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the liquid has been reduced by half. Remove Balsamic Vinegar from heat and allow to cool.
Finally, your assembly. Once your Galette has cooked through, allow it to cool on a wire rack. Once you are ready to eat, top with your fresh Basil and Balsamic Vinegar Reduction. And you’re done!
Tips and Tricks for the Best Galette
- There will likely be some moisture when you remove this from the oven. That is okay, just carefully drain it off. If you use low moisture mozzarella that will help with this.
- I do think the Balsamic Reduction adds a very nice touch, but I don’t think it is totally necessary if you want to skip that step. Fresh tomatoes and mozzarella make an incredible combo on their own, so either way works great.
For the crust:
- 1 store bought pie crust or 1 recipe for keto-friendly dough (link below)
For the filling:
- 1 (8 ounce) ball low moisture fresh mozzarella
- 2-3 large fresh tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful freshly chopped basil
To make the Galette:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper and spread out the pie crust with your hands. Just form a large circle, it doesn't have to be perfect.
- Top with sliced mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully fold over the edges of the dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
To make the balsamic reduction:
- Heat a small skillet to medium high heat. Add balsamic vinegar and bring it to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and let mixture simmer approximately 20 minutes or until the vinegar has reduced by half. Remove vinegar from heat and let cool.
- To assemble: After the Galette has cooked 20 minutes, remove from oven. If there is any moisture in your pan carefully drain it off. Let cool on a wire rack. When ready to serve top with balsamic reduction and freshly chopped basil.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 18.5gCholesterol: 33.7mgSodium: 862.9mgCarbohydrates: 25.9gNet Carbohydrates: 24.5gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 3.5gProtein: 10.1g