This Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup features tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, sharp cheddar cheese, and tangy buffalo sauce!
This Buffalo Chicken Soup is a flavorful and comforting dish that typically combines the bold and tangy flavors of Buffalo chicken wings with the heartiness of a soup. This low-carb soup features shredded chicken, vegetables, and a creamy, cheesy base. The key ingredient that sets this soup apart from other chicken soup recipes is the incorporation of Buffalo wing sauce, which gives the soup its signature kick. The spice level can be adjusted according to personal preference, making it a versatile dish for those who enjoy a bit of heat.
Buffalo chicken soup is a favorite among those who love the zesty and spicy taste of Buffalo chicken wings but crave the warmth and comfort of a soup. It’s a perfect choice for cold days or whenever you’re in the mood for a hearty and flavorful meal.
Reasons You’ll Love It
- Spicy Flavor Kick: Buffalo chicken soup is perfect for individuals who love a bit of heat and crave the zesty, spicy flavor reminiscent of Buffalo chicken wings.
- Comforting and Hearty: This soup combines the warmth and heartiness of a classic soup with the bold flavors of Buffalo chicken. It’s a comforting and filling dish, ideal for cold days or when you’re in the mood for a satisfying, substantial meal. The addition of chicken, vegetables, and a creamy base contributes to its comforting and hearty nature.
- Versatile and Customizable: It can be customized to suit individual preferences, allowing for variations in spice levels, choice of toppings, and additional ingredients.
Buffalo Chicken Soup Ingredients
As always, this is an overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe simply scroll to the recipe card below:
- Chicken: This recipe provides directions to cook the chicken, however, if you are using leftover shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken, that will also work. You will need 5 cups of chicken for this soup. You can also sub the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Vegetables: carrots, onion, celery, and garlic are used in this soup. If you’d like to mix things up bell pepper, chopped sweet peppers, and cauliflower also pair well.
- Seasoning: this recipe uses Ranch seasoning. You can purchase a storebought Ranch or a quick google search provides tons of homemade options.
- Chicken Stock: a good quality broth is best, you can even make homemade if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese and Cheddar Cheese: room temperature cream cheese and shredded sharp cheddar is best in this recipe. If you prefer another cheese something like colby-jack or mild cheddar will work.
- Buffalo Sauce: the star of the show! Use your favorite variety and remember the amount listed is for a nice mild soup. I certainly add a bit more when I serve it, but the base recipe should be fine for those who aren’t into spice.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
Aside from the ingredients listed above you will need a dutch oven or stock pot. You will also need a cutting board and knife. To make this soup follow the step-by-step directions below, or scroll to the recipe card.
Saute the Vegetables
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion, celery, carrots, and garlic for 4-5 minutes, stir occasionally until the onions are translucent. Remember, the vegetables continue to cook as the soup is prepared so it isn’t necessary to cook the vegetables a long time in the first step.
Add Chicken and Spices
Add the chicken breasts and spices right on top of the sauteed veggies. There is no need to chop the chicken or sear it first. That is part of what makes this recipe so easy and perfect for busy weeknights!
Add Broth and Simmer
Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring the soup to a nice simmer. Depending on your stovetop, you might need to increase the heat to medium-high. Once the soup begins to simmer add the lid to the Dutch oven and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 20 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through and easily shreds with two forks.
Remove Chicken and Shred
When the chicken is cooked through and tender enough to shred, remove it from the pot and shred it with two forks. Don’t add it back to the pot just yet.
Add Cream Cheese and Cheese
While the chicken is out of the pot add the softened cream cheese and shredded cheese. Vigorously whisk the soup until the cheese has dissolved completely. The final step for this easy chicken soup is to add the shredded chicken back to the pot and allow the soup a few minutes over low heat to warm through.
This soup is a hearty meal in itself! We serve this dish with shredded cheese over the top, along with chopped green onions and a dash of hot sauce or blue cheese! However, if you are looking for some side dish options, this Arugula Salad or these Cheesy Biscuits are great!
This soup is so delicious I doubt you will have any leftovers! However, if you do simply store any soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. To freeze this soup allow it to cool completely and transfer to a large freezer bag, or soup cup tray. You can store this soup in the freezer up to 2 months.
- To reheat unfrozen soup, microwave in 30-second increments until warm, or reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- To reheat frozen soup, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Follow the directions above.
Yes, you will need at least a 6 quart pot or large Dutch oven, preferably an 8 quart.
Yes, you can change up the protein if you wish. If you want to use something like ground beef or sausage you will need to brown it and then follow the recipe.
The base recipe provides a mild, cheesy soup. Personally, I add additional buffalo sauce.
Yes, this soup is low carb and keto-friendly. You can find the complete nutritional information below the recipe.
Other Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Peppers: this is a great appetizer or easy dinner; it is also low-carb and keto-friendly.
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps: This super flavorful recipe is naturally keto-friendly, gluten-free, healthy, and easy to make ahead of time.
- Foil Packs: This buffalo chicken recipe only requires a handful of common ingredients, 5 minutes of prep time, and nearly zero cleanup!
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos: a keto classic that everyone loves!
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cup onion chopped
- 1½ cup carrots chopped
- 1½ cup celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 1 ounce package ranch seasoning
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- ⅓ cup mild buffalo sauce
- 8 ounces ounces cream cheese softened
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute until the onions have softened.
- Add the chicken, seasoning, and chicken broth to the pot. Depending on your stovetop, you might need to increase the heat to medium-high. Once the soup begins to simmer, add the lid to the Dutch oven and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 20 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through and easily shreds with two forks.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it with two forks. Don't add it back to the pot just yet.
- While the chicken is out of the pot add the buffalo sauce, softened cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Vigorously whisk the soup until the cheese has dissolved completely.
- The final step for this easy chicken soup is to add the shredded chicken back to the pot and allow the soup a few minutes over low heat to warm through.