These Keto Butterscotch Cookies are the perfect low-carb dessert! At only 2.4 net carbs per low carb cookie, these are perfect for holiday treats or potluck keto recipes!
This is the season when everyone starts bringing in goodies at work. I love a good recipe for sharing… Something that most people can eat and everyone will enjoy! These cookies fit the bill… Delicious, sugar-free, gluten-free, and low-carb. These Keto Butterscotch Cookies are perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up!
For this recipe, I took my popular Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and tweaked it a bit. Butterscotch is a nice change… A bit fall-inspired and the perfect way to lighten up dark chocolate for people with a stronger sweet tooth. You could easily add nuts to these if you like a bigger crunch or if you want them to be less sweet, too!
Not only is this a great keto potluck recipe, but it’s a great low-carb, gluten-free meal prep dessert! Make these cookies ahead of time then freeze the dough so you can bake fresh cookies anytime you want. You can pull these out for a sugar-free, keto-friendly dessert for guests or just when you feel that sweet tooth kicking in!
Ingredients for Keto Butterscotch Cookies
- Almond Flour: I do not suggest any substitutions. This recipe was formulated for super fine almond flour only.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt: You need all three to make the perfect chewy cookie.
- Butter: cold butter is needed to create the right consistency.
- Golden Monkfruit: a keto-friendly sweetener perfect in these cookies
- Vanilla extract
- Egg: size large
- Lily’s Butterscotch chips
- Lily’s dark chocolate chips
Can I use coconut flour?
No, as stated above this recipe is formulated for almond flour only. Almond and coconut flour are not 1 to 1 substitutes and they absorb liquid very differently.
Can I add nuts?
Yes, I am a big fan of chocolate and nuts together. The only way it gets any better is by adding butterscotch! If you would like to add nuts I would recommend 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
Tips For Making Butterscotch Cookies from Scratch
- Use real butter for this cookie recipe. For the best flavor and texture use a quality butter instead of a butter substitute.
- While this recipe uses an electric mixer be sure to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Chill the dough!!! This is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! While the mixture is being beaten the dough gets warm which would result in cookies that spread a lot.
- Do not overcook! Remember the cookies will continue to bake on the hot pan after you remove them from the oven. If you wait until the cookies look done they will actually be overdone.
- Use a silicone baking sheet so the cookies bake evenly and never stick.
- Do not flatten the dough, just scoop and bake.
- Do not transfer these cookies to a cooling rack immediately, they will break apart easily. Allow them to cool and set on the pan, then transfer.
Sugar Free Butterscotch Chips
Lily’s Butterscotch chips melt differently than chocolate chips. If you find the butterscotch is is melting away from the cookie as they cook simply use a silicone spatula to push the butterscotch towards the cookie. This will create those perfect caramelized, almost crunchy edges.
How do you make Perfect Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Odds are, if you are looking at this recipe you will love my Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies have over 600 five star reviews! I promise, you really won’t be able to tell the difference between these low carb chocolate chip cookies and carb loaded cookies you’ve had in the past. Just check out the reviews and photos other readers have left on this pin!
Other Keto Cookie Recipes
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Keto Sugar Cookies
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Keto Whoopie Pies
- The Best Keto Snickerdoodles
Need more? Check out this list of 18+ of the BEST Keto Cookies!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar monkfruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Lily's Butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup Lily's Semi Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in small bowl, set aside.
- Next, beat butter, golden monkfruit sweetener and vanilla extract in stand mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add the egg, beating the mixture on low.
Gradually pour in the almond flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Lastly, mix in the butterscotch and chocolate chips.
- Chill the mixture at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, until the butter is sold and the cookie dough is hard. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a small cookie scoop drop the cookies onto a silicone lined baking sheet (or lightly greased baking sheet) evenly spaced.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown and lightly set. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Top with sea salt if you desire.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before moving from the pan. Top with sea salt if desired.
IMPORTANT: Lily's Butterscotch chips melt differently than chocolate chips. If you find the butterscotch is is melting away from the cookie as they cook simply use a silicone spatula to push the butterscotch towards the cookie. This will create those perfect caramelized, almost crunchy edges.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 3
Dark Chocolate Chips by Lily's | Stevia Sweetened, No Added Sugar, Low-Carb, Keto Friendly | 55% Cocoa | Fair Trade, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO | 9 ounce, 3-Pack
Anthony's Almond Flour Blanched, 2lb, Batch Tested Gluten Free, Non GMO, Vegan, Keto Friendly
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 5.8gCholesterol: 15.4mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 6.4gNet Carbohydrates: 2.4gFiber: 2.7gSugar: 0.2gSugar Alcohols: 1.3gProtein: 1.4g