Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are an easy dinner you’d never guess are actually low carb! This easy chicken dish is loaded with shredded chicken, green chiles, sour cream, and cheese! Enjoy two loaded enchiladas for under 8 net carbs!
What are Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas?
This popular Mexican chicken bake is known by a few different names. You may recognize these as Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, or Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are enchiladas that are stuffed with chicken and cheese. The part that makes these enchiladas unique is the sauce.
While traditional enchiladas feature red sauce that have tomato sauce and spices this sauce features Green Enchilada sauce, also known as Green Chile Enchilada Sauce, is mixed with sour cream for the perfect creamy, mild sauce that pairs so well with chicken!
P.S. – Want to bring the Mexican restaurant to your own kitchen? Add a Keto Margarita–It only adds 1.4 net carbs!
Ingredients for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken: shredded, rotisserie, or left over grilled chicken work great.
- Tortillas: low carb tortillas OR check out my no carb option below!
- Cream cheese: full fat or reduced fat cream cheese.
- Shredded cheese: shredded cheddar, Colby-jack or a blend.
- Green Chiles: mild, canned green chiles. Be careful not to accidentally grab the spicy!
- Sour cream: full fat sour cream works best in this recipe.
- Green Enchilada Sauce: my favorite brand is Hatch, the flavor is amazing!
How to make Keto Chicken Enchiladas
The complete recipe recipe is below in a printable format, just keep scrolling. This is a quick overview of how to make an easy Chicken Enchilada Bake.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese and green chiles. Set the bowl aside.
- Make the sauce: To make the enchilada sauce combine the green chile enchilada sauce and sour cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Prepare your dish: Next, grease a 7×11 casserole dish and add about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan. This will be a thin layer, just enough to lightly cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Spoon the chicken mixture into a tortilla and tightly roll. Lay the enchilada seam side down. Repeat until all the chicken mixture has been used. Top the rolls with the remaining enchilada sauce, top with the shredded cheese and bake 25 minutes until golden brown.
Are these enchiladas keto?
If using a low carb tortilla they are keto-friendly. The nutrition is calculated based on using Mission Carb Balance Street Taco Tortillas and two loaded enchiladas is under 8 net carbs. The nutrition will vary based on the tortilla you use.
Can I make these without tortillas?
Yes! It may sound crazy, but trust me here. You can use deli sliced chicken (or turkey, but I prefer the chicken) in place of the tortilla. Simply purchase sliced deli chicken (not shaved, it will be too thin) at your grocery. Make the filling and sauce as directed but in place of the tortilla wrap the filling in the deli chicken. Bake until warm and bubbly and you have almost a no carb enchilada feast!
Can you freeze Chicken Enchilada Bake?
This is an easy, family friendly meal to have on stand by. To freeze, simply cover tightly with plastic wrap and then add a layer of aluminum foil on top. When you’re ready to bake, just remove the coverings and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
Tips for Making Keto Enchiladas
- Make sure you’ve combined your filling well so you get a mix of ingredients in every bite.
- When adding the enchilada sauce to the sour cream, be sure to whisk it. This ensures that everything is incorporated fully.
- Don’t overfill. I know it’s tempting, but then you won’t be able to roll up your enchiladas enough that they hold in the ingredients when you go to remove them from the pan.
- To reduce carbs even further skip the tortilla all together and use deli chicken, see my notes above.
Other Chicken Recipes
- Keto Oven Fried Chicken
- One Pan Green Chili Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Pesto Chicken Bake
- Keto Chicken Piccata
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
For the Chicken Filling
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
You will also need:
- Between 10-12 small low carb Tortillas for rolling (corn, or flour if not low carb)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, green onions and green chiles. Set the bowl aside.
- To make the enchilada sauce combine the green chile enchilada sauce and sour cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Next, grease a 7x11 casserole dish and add about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan. This will be a thin layer, just enough to lightly cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- To assemble the enchiladas, spoon the chicken mixture into a tortilla and tightly roll Lay the enchilada seam side down.
- Repeat until all the chicken mixture has been used.
- Top the rolls with the remaining enchilada sauce, top with the shredded cheese and bake 25 minutes until golden brown.
I used the small Mission Carb Balance Tortillas for this recipe. You can use the larger ones if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 Enchiladas (nutrition calculated with Mission Carb Balance Street Taco Tortillas)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 32.2gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 815mgCarbohydrates: 25.5gNet Carbohydrates: 7.8gFiber: 17.7gSugar: 1.1gProtein: 37g