Keto Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect sweet treat for about 2 net carbs each! Low carb sugar cookies are packed with fresh strawberry sauce and baked until soft and chewy!
The baking obsession continues! I’ve been so happy with the keto cookies I’ve come up with, so lately I’ve been working on adding a fun twist to some of the basic recipes. That led me to these summer delights–We start with a basic keto sugar cookie, indent the middle, and then fill with this delicious, low-carb strawberry sauce.
These cookies do need to chill, so you can easily start these at the beginning of your prep day, then leave them in the fridge while you’re working on other tasks. After at least two hours, you can pull them out of the fridge, cook, and reward yourself with these irresistible little bites!
These add a beautiful pop of color to any party or shower spread. You can even prepare the dough well in advance and freeze so you can make these treats at a moment’s notice! You might want to make a double batch because people are going to ask for seconds and thirds!
Ingredients Needed for Keto Cookies
Here’s an overview of what you’ll need to make these naturally gluten-free, sugar-free cookies. The complete recipe and instructions are found below, just keep scrolling.
- Almond flour: this recipe uses both almond and coconut flour, and I do not recommend substitutions.
- Coconut Flour: see note above.
- Baking Soda: essential for creating a soft, fluffy cookie.
- Baking Powder: helps add rise to the cookies, needed in addition to the baking soda.
- Granular Monkfruit Sweetener: Granular Swerve sweetener also works if you prefer.
- Butter: unsalted butter
- Sour Cream: creates that great “loft house sugar cookie” texture.
- Vanilla Extract
- Optional: Confectioners Monkfruit Sweetener for sprinkling
How to make Keto Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
These low-carb sugar cookies can be made in just a few simple steps.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and monkfruit sweetener until well blended. Add the egg, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- While the mixer is on low, add the flour mixture until well combined. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Scoop the dough using a small cookie scoop, make a well with your thumb, add a teaspoon of strawberry sauce and bake on a silicone lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
How do I make Low Carb Strawberry Sauce?
- To make the strawberry sauce: combine the sliced strawberries, monkfruit sweetener, vanilla extract (and lemon juice if using) in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium for a light simmer (not a rolling boil) for 10 minutes, stirring and mashing the strawberries as they cook. The berries will reduce, and the mixture will thicken.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the strawberries have reached your desired consistency. Cool the strawberry mixture completely before serving.
Tips & Tricks for the best Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
- I do not recommend using another type of flour for this recipe. I’ve found the ratios of almond flour and coconut flour to be perfect for this recipe and can’t recommend anything else.
- You must chill the cookie dough, otherwise the keto sugar cookies will spread dramatically in the oven.
- Don’t be tempted to create a larger well in the cookies, they spread perfectly so keep the strawberry center small.
More Keto Cookie Recipes
- Keto Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies
- The BEST Keto White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies (coconut flour recipe)
- No-Bake Almond Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Cookies
- Double Chocolate Sheet Pan Cookies!
Keto Sugar Cookie Base
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Low Carb Strawberry Sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chopped strawberries, stems removed
- 1/4 cup confectioners Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional, but helps to brighten the strawberry flavor)
- Combine the sliced strawberries, monkfruit sweetener, vanilla extract (and lemon juice if using) in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium to a light simmer (not a rolling boil) for 10 minutes, stirring and mashing the strawberries as they cook. The berries will reduce and the mixture will thicken.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the strawberries have reached your desired consistency.
- Cool the strawberry mixture completely.
Sugar Cookie Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until blended. Mix in the egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and shape into a round disk. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop the sugar cookies out using a small cookie scoop and place on a silicone lined baking sheet.
- Use your thumb or the back of a teaspoon to press a well into the cookie. Add a teaspoon of the strawberry sauce to the cookie (see photo in post).
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from the oven when slightly undercooked, it will finish baking as it cools. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners Monkfruit sweetener if desired.
While I do not have a video making these Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies, you can see how to make the sugar cookie dough base in the video below:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Cookies Serving Size: Nutrition Calculated Per Cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 9.5gCholesterol: 19.6mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 3.7gNet Carbohydrates: 2.3gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g