Sometimes there is only one sure fire way to deal with a bad case of the Mondays.
Pancakes. Lots and lots of pancakes.
These pancakes are the cure to the I-cant-get-out-of-bed-please-tell-me-it-is-saturday mindset we are all in on Monday morning. This is what you reach for when nothing else will do. Strawberry Pancakes, with Strawberry Cream Cheese Glaze. Your welcome, my friends. You are welcome!
Holy Moses! Don’t these look good!
I had a craving for strawberries so bad last weekend, but when I got home from the grocery and took a closer look I realized my berries left a lot to be desired. They were just past their prime, which meant the texture was totally off. Urgh. What am I going to do with a pound of not that great strawberries. Cake? Smoothies? Ice cream?
The answer (to this and most other questions) was pancakes. Lots and lots of them.
Normally, Sunday is my day to cook or prep for the week. So I make a couple snacks, bake some bread, maybe even make a dinner ahead of time, but I always make some type of breakfast to make mornings easier. This week these pancakes made their debut, let me tell you, if Mr. Maebell hadn’t already popped the question these beauties would have pushed him over the edge.
They are so good! They taste like strawberry cake, but in pancake form. Top them with the perfect Strawberry Cream Cheese glaze and you have a little slice of heaven right there folks.
While these may seem like a super indulgent unhealthy breakfast they really aren’t too bad! The batter has no sugar or butter added, and I used reduced fat cream cheese for the glaze so at the very least these can be considered a light indulgent breakfast.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- Pancake Ingredients:
- 1 cup GF Bisquick
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Glaze Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a food processor or blender blend the strawberries until they are completely crushed. Scoop out two tablespoons of the strawberry puree and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in crushed strawberries, milk, egg and vanilla extract. Combine mixture well.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium to medium high heat. Melt one tablespoon of coconut oil. Scoop out the pancake batter with an ice cream scoop.
- Cook pancakes for approximately 1-2 minutes until you see little bubbles form, flip pancakes, cook for about one more minute or until golden brown.
- Continue until all batter is used, adding oil if you need it, as you go.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons crushed strawberries, 2 tablespoons of milk. Stir well until glaze forms. The glaze can be made by hand, but it is easier with a mixer.
- Stack warm pancakes and serve with glaze. Enjoy!
As always, I made this dish using gluten free ingredients. I use Glutino Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose flour or Gluten Free Bisquick in place of flour.