The perfect Rosemary Garlic Keto Rolls! These rolls are perfect for keto, gluten free holiday dinners and addictive enough you will want them all year long!
Working around dietary restrictions is always hard, but around the holidays it feels nearly impossible. I am here to help! These gluten-free dinner rolls are perfect for the holidays and addicting enough you will end up making them all year long!
These rolls are really easy to make and they are based off of the “fat head dough” concept. If you are familiar with it you can pull these rolls together in no time at all. If you aren’t, it’s going to seem strange.
The base for this bread is melted mozzarella and cream cheese mixed with almond flour and ground flax seed. Weird, right? I was skeptical the first time I tried a fat head dough recipe but now I am a total believer. We have been a gluten-free family for nearly 13 years and this makes some of the best bread I have ever had.
Ingredients in Keto Rolls
The ingredients list for these keto bread rolls is quite short, so it’s important that you buy all the right stuff.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
- Almond flour
- Ground flax seed
- Baking powder
- Fresh rosemary
How to Make Keto Rolls
Here is how we do it! Combine shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave proof bowl and heat in 30 second increments until the cheese is COMPLETELY melted. I heat 30 seconds, stir well, heat 30 seconds, stir and it is usually perfectly and completely melted (no visible cheese shreds or clumps just a nice sticky ball of cheese).
When that is mixed in fairly well add your beaten egg, stir mixture well to incorporate the egg. It will look something like the photo below and you will loose all faith in me, ha! But trust me!
Now lose the spatula and get in there with your hands! You are going to knead the dough like you would regular dough to fully incorporate all of the ingredients. It will be a soft, tacky dough so you might want to wet your hands first. When the dough is fully incorporated it will look something like the picture below.
You will want to form a log and slice into 6 sections for dinner rolls (alternatively you can pat into a circle and cut 6 slices, whatever works) and place each roll on a greased baking sheet.
Next we melt butter and add a bit of chopped rosemary and minced garlic. Brush half of the butter garlic mixture on the rolls and reserve the rest for later.
Pop the rolls in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes and brush with the remaining garlic butter just before serving.
Can I Freeze Keto Dinner Rolls?
Definitely. I normally make a double batch of these low carb rolls and freeze the rolls on a baking sheet then put them in a freezer bag. Just skip the butter step until you are ready to bake. Cooking time for a frozen gluten-free roll is 18-21 minutes for me depending on how long they have sat out while the oven is preheating
How to Reheat Keto Bread Rolls
I often make some of these gluten-free dinner rolls on Sunday and we use them as “slider” buns for lunch during the week. They reheat and hold up really well! To reheat, pop them into a warm oven for about 5 minutes.
Tips for Making Keto Dinner Rolls
Choosing your cheese: Not all cheese is created equally. If you are new to Keto you may not realize that different brands of cheese contain different amount of carbs. Who really knows the reason why?
But it is important to check the carb count and compare at the grocery. Kraft shredded mozzarella cheese is lower in carb than the generic store brand cheese in my area. This also goes for cream cheese, just compare before you purchase.
Melting the cheese: Making sure the mozzarella and cream cheese are COMPLETELY melted is the most important step. I find that the Kraft brand shredded cheese and the Philadelphia brand cream cheese melt really well.
Choosing your almond flour: About that almond flour. I generally use Bob’s Red Mill because that is what I can find in my area. There are two types; one is Super Fine Almond Flour, which is very light almost white and then there is Super Fine Natural Almond Flour and it is darker because it includes the skins of the almonds.
I have used both interchangeably in this recipe and they work just fine. I actually taste no difference at all. HOWEVER, it is important to note that Bob’s Red Mill Natural Almond Flour (the darker one) is slightly lower in carbs.
What is the taste like? Delicious! These rolls remind me a little bit of a multigrain roll.
More Keto Side Dishes:
- Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- Bacon-Wrapped Cabbage
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I suggest Kraft brand)
- 1 ounce cream cheese (I suggest Philadelphia)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced rosemary
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- pinch of sea salt to finish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave proof bowl and heat in 30 second increments until the cheese is COMPLETELY melted. I heat 30 seconds, stir well, heat 30 seconds, stir and it is usually perfectly and completely melted (no visible cheese shreds or clumps just a nice sticky ball of cheese).
- Stir in the almond flour, ground flax seed, baking powder and HALF the rosemary.
- It will be a little tricky to mix, but just stir well and be sure to scrape the edges of your bowl.
- When that is mixed in fairly well add your beaten egg, stir well (see tips and photos above in blog post)
- Knead the ball of dough until everything is very well incorporated and you have a soft, sticky ball of dough.
- Roll your dough into a log and slice into 6 equal slices.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Melt the butter and add the rosemary and garlic.
- Brush half the mixture over the biscuits and bake 12-15 minutes.
- Brush remaining garlic butter over biscuits and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
*****PLEASE READ THE TIPS AND TRICKS IN THE POST ABOVE FOR THE BEST SUCCESS!*****