Jerk Shrimp and Andouille Sausage are cooked to perfection and laid on a bed of ultra creamy cheddar grits for the ultimate Southern meal!
Today is my birthday.
I love birthdays, love love love them. Not just mine, but anyones. When people say they don’t celebrate their birthday I think about how super sad that is. Why wouldn’t you celebrate?! The fact that you were born, the fact that you are still here on this Earth, growing, learning, loving, why in the world wouldn’t you celebrate that?!
So because I am off celebrating I am going to share a revamped version of my classic Shrimp and Creamy Cheesy Grits recipe.
If you have never had Shrimp and Grits, YOU ARE MISSING OUT! Sorry to yell at you, but I need you to understand the importance of going out right now and buying all of the ingredients. This Andouille Sausage Jerk Shrimp & Cheddar Grits is so so good!
My traditional recipe has shrimp coated in spices, pan seared then laid on a bed of cheese grits and topped with bacon and chopped green onions. It is fantastic.
But because one good recipe is never enough this variation has the shrimp tossed in Jerk spices and I thew in some sausage for good measure.
Both are amazing, you will love them!
I’m off to blow out some birthday candles! Happy Saturday my friends!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 pound deveined and shelled shrimp
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Jerk seasoning
- 1/2 package of Johnsonville Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow corn grits
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Cheddar Grits
- In a medium to large sauce pan bring chicken broth to a boil, add grits and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and let grits simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When grits have absorbed the liquid add cream cheese, shredded cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture well, cover and remove from heat.
- For the Sausage and Jerk Shrimp
- Place shrimp in a large plastic bag or mixing bowl and toss with the Jerk seasoning, making sure it is evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink and tender.
- Remove shrimp from skillet.
- Add sliced sausage and let cook approximately 2 minute on each side.
- Remove sauce from skillet.
- To assemble the shrimp and grits add a heaping serving of grits to two shallow bowls. Top with shrimp, sausage, chopped green onions, and additional salt and pepper.